Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about the Military!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jackyl, Jan 28, 2002.

1. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

I was wondering if anybody can give me a little help with some ?'s about the military. Mainly the army and the marines.
    I was thinking about joining but I didn't want to talk to a recruitor yet because I wanted to decide if I was going to join first. I know how they are once they hear you are thinking about it. But anyway, what are the pros and cons of it?
    I hear a lot about $20,000 sign on bonus, paying for college and stuff like that. Are there any catches to it?
    Can you choose were you want to be stationed at?
    Any info would help. Or if you would just like to state your opinion then feel free

2. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

well the first thing you want to do is figure out what you want to do.. what type of job do you want experience in... and if you want to go to college, then all services are roughly the same when it comes to the amount.... i'm enlisted in the air force right now as an F-15 mechanic and i love my job.... i've got like 20k for college. send me an email and we'll talk... jadzu@gtcom.net there's a few other guys on here that are marines and navy... haven't seen any one in the army on here yet...

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My father in law was a Major, he just retired. I told him I was thinking about joining after hanging out at Fort Lewis 2 years ago. He told me to not to with a wife and kids, cause the pay is too bad and the life isn't that great for the rest of the family. He said it would be a great idea if I were single though.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

In this day and age, go to the Corp. I was in the Army back in the early 90's. The black beret thing is BS!!!! Their standards are BS!!!!

Now onto the other stuff. Ask yourself what you want to do, do you want to get training so you can apply it to an outside job, or do you want to be a "minister of death, praying for war!" I was a cavalry scout, one of the most kick a** jobs outside of special operations, but with the years I spent in the Army, I never went to a foreign country, and this was the time of Desert Storm, Somalia, couple of flare ups in Kuwait and Haiti. I spent three lovely years on the beach out in Hawaii, but didn't go anywhere else but on the mainland. Every Marine I've ever met has been somewhere and done something and usually has been under fire and repaid the gesture in kind.

As for being stationed where you want, I tried for three years to get to Ft. Carson, CO, never got to go, but I did reenlist for Ft. Irwin. The signing bonus is for different jobs and you must make it through basic to get it, then your first enlistment to keep it.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm not gonna blow smoke at you and say it's all cake and roses...
    The military can be a rough life. Long hours, hard work, little time at home with your family, getting paid the same as other people in your paygrade who only do half (or less) of what you do, dealing with superiors who only care about the promotion and advancement of themselves, and oh-by-the-way, the very-real risk of dying a painful death in some foreign land that half of the people you're fighting for can't even find on a map.
    Now having said all that, I can still honestly say that I love being a Marine. I love my job in the Corps (CH-53E helicopter mechanic/aircrew), and I'm proud to serve my country. To me, the pride and satisfaction of watching helicopters fly off on missions and safely return with my fellow Marines on board is enough to offset the hardships we endure (most times...).

Like everyone else has said, you really do need to sit down and figure out what you'd like to do with yourself, and examine your reasons for joining the military. If it's just for college money, the Army or Air Force is probably gonna be your best bet. If you're looking to get good training in a skill area, any of the branches are pretty good for that. Don't forget about the Reserve; you'll get pretty much the same training, you just won't get anywhere near as much practical application. Just ensure that if you do decide to join a service, the recruiter puts EVERYTHING IN WRITING!! If it's all verbal promises and not written in your contract, you probably ain't gonna get it. Read the contract and any addendums to it VERY carefully. Make sure you understand EVERYTHING in it BEFORE you sign it, and don't be afraid to ask questions until you're satisfied. Be aware that most of the really technical fields (computers/network stuff, some aviation fields, nuclear propulsion, etc) and enlistment bonus programs carry a longer time commitment, like 5 or even 6 years on active duty. It's not a free ride by any means.
    As far as duty stations go, I can't speak for the other services; I don't know their policies. I can say that the Marine Corps will contract-guarantee you East Coast, West Coast, or Overseas. A few points to ponder on this:
    1. There are VERY FEW truly non-deploying units in the Corps. Odds are, no matter where you're stationed, you'll be deployed overseas (probably for 6 months) at some point.
    2. The longer time commitments mentioned above generally apply if you want a guaranteed coast.
    3. I'm not sure, but you may only be able to get a certain number of incentives (bonus, guaranteed occupation, etc) on your contract.
    Feel free to PM or email me if you want; I'll answer everything I can.

Ken

January 28, 2002--The NEW Adventure Begins...