Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about Trenches...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Jun 4, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, I finally landed a new summer job at a private surveying/consulting/civil engineering firm. My time is going to be split pretty much 50/50 between the office and paperwork and field work, surveying, and staking. One of the things I was told that caught my attention is that I might be dealing with trenches once in a while.

I know Paul has quite a bit of experience with this but he's on a cross country road trip at the moment. What are some things I should look for or guidelines I should use to know whether or not it's safe to go down into a trench?

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Look for skeletal hands protruding from the soil at the bottom...

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

When the trenches reach a certain depth they are supposed to be "shored." Spoil piles are supposed to be spread out so all the weight is not on the wall of the trench. Softer soil has a greater chance of "sloughing off" into the trench and last but not least take a "Trench Rescue Class" it will give you all the information you need to stay alive. These classes are available as a first come first serve sign up not sure what they cost. Check into your local fire department.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I know that in California there are apparently Open Trenches that you must watch for. I know this because we have signs that say "Open Trench", issued by the Department of Redundency Department. I therefore assume there are also "Closed Trenches" (which I also suppose everywhere else is called "The Ground"). You might want to study up a bit on the signs before jumping into either one.

We also have Loose Gravel signs, but that is another training issue completely.

5. mikey_d05

I'll make sure I look for a sign that says "solid ground" before I get out of the truck. :p:

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

7. mikey_d05

Thanks for the link.

So basically if it's up to my neck it needs to be shored. If it's not, I don't go down the ladder...correct?

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

RootBreaker has the item to take with ya..............................

9. mikey_d05

I haven't been around much...what'd I miss?

10. kyser_soze

There are different factors for different types of soil. and different slopes (degree of angles) for the trenches to be cut for these soils. Different conditions exist also such as rain the day of or the day before going down into the trench. How far away from the edge of the trench where the spoils have been set. Is there machinery vibrating the soil nearby. Many factors.

Maximum allowable trench with out the engineered slopes is 4 feet without shoreing.

11. kyser_soze