Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions about Vortec install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, May 11, 2002.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Can I just buy a complete engine gasket set for my 86 350 to install my Vortec heads, intake, and valve covers? Or is there a difference in the older gaskets and whats needed for the Vortec stuff? I know the valve covers have center bolts so should I have the gaskets with no holes around the perimeter?

Also, is there somewhere I can get a bracket for the trans and throttle cables since the stock bracket wont work?

Is there anything else I should know before starting the swap?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

When I did mine, I needed diffrent intake gaskets. I don't think your truck has the correct gaskets either, they are thick plastic with a sealing ring around the ports and cooling passages. I also needed diffrent rocker arms, some with guides on the valve side to keep it centered on the tip of the valve. I modified my TV bracket to work with the vortec performer manifold. But like I said my swap may have been diffrent. I got my heads from a dealer on the east coast, and when I called I just asked what was diffrent. I ended up getting almost all the stuff from him to do the swap.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

How did you need to modify the bracket? Do you think you could get me a pic of it? The heads I bought are complete. I just have to get the gaskets.
    Thanks!

4. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

just go to your local chevy dealer or parts house and get the gaskets for a 96 or later pickup with a 350. think i paid 30 for mine when i got them from the dealer.

deck

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The head gaskets are still the same correct? Cant I get "thin" gaskets to help bump the compression a little?

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't think you will need the "thin" head gasket...the vortec's are 64cc (stock is most often 76cc) which might put you at too much compression already...but if you want to go for it.

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

FelPro also makes the intake gaskets, which is what I used. I worked at a GM dealer when I built my motor, (still work at a GM dealer) But I went w/ the FelPro because of a recommendation from a guy in the parts dept that races circle track and uses Vortecs that the FelPros fit better than OEM. I think it was something to do w/ the OEMs being inset from the port opening vs. the FelPro port matching better. These things are like 1/8 in thick, so a gap that wide will cause some turbulance in the port flow. This is the jist of what he told me, I am going off memory from summer 1999.

They are not the plastic base w/ sealing rings. They are basic black intake gasket material but are .120 thick.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't use head gasket thickness to controll compression!!! It'll ruin your quench and make your engine detonate and knock like a Diesel!!

Quench is supposed to be .039-.045! Don't screw that up with thick head gaskets.