Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions after Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RiceDaddy, May 12, 2003.

1. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

OK, I just installed a 6 inch Tuff Country (all springs) lift and 35's on my K5 (Pic included). I also installed a 4 inch raised steering arm and other goodies.

Question #1: My steering wheel is now upside down when the wheels are pointed straight and the truck now turns sharper to the left than the right. On a previous post, HARRY H3 and I discussed adjusting the drag link to make it longer. How many others out there with a 6" lift and the raised steering arm have had to do this? Is this standard practice? This should get me an equal turning radius to both the left and the right, correct?

Question #2: Did any of you guys either buy longer bump stops after lifting or extend the stock stops with a homemade spacer. I'm thinking that I want to drop these down a little to make up for the lift. What has everyone else out there done?

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

did you turn the steering wheel to move the drag link forward to meet the steering arm?

3. RiceDaddy

In a way, I guess Yes. We just pulled the drag link back a little to line up with the hole in the steering arm. My buddy actually bolted up the new steering arm. I was on the other side of the truck working on something else at the time, so I'm not sure exactly what he did.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i bought new from energy suspension. Nice yeller ones. See pics below.

5. RiceDaddy

Nice pics. Are those the 4.5" tall stops in the front and the back?

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh the big ones front and rear are 4.5" tall, the smaller ones behind the shocks on the front are 2 1/8" tall. You can only see em in one spot lol. only pic can see both stops

7. RiceDaddy

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

answer 1.
    Yes ...after doing any type of front suspension mods...you always have to adjust out the draglink to correct what you did to the axle/frame distance. My 6inch lift is the same way. Adjust it (in your case make it longer) until you ahve the same amount of turning left and right. Your steering wheel may not be perfect after this...but oh well.. you will get used to it being at a funny angle.
    answer 2.
    I found some bumpstop extenders for the front but they were free and a bit lame really. Longer stops would be good for offroad but really nessacery for just street driving. The point is not to invert your springs while flexing out.

Blake

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

To make your truck steer all the way right, you'll probably need a drop pitman arm to get 6" of total correction. The arm only gives 4".

10. RiceDaddy

Thanks. I looked at the drag link and it looks like I've got a fair amount of thread engagement on each end of the adjuster so I think I can lengthen it enough. I'll give it a try later on this evening.

11. RiceDaddy

I had heard (on here I think) that running a 4 inch raised steering arm and a 2 inch dropped pitman arm with a 6 inch lift led to problems. I'm not really sure because I've never really seen anyone run this set up before. I guess I'll live with the increased angle that the drag link is at now and just lengthen it a little. Unless someone guides me differently. Thanks for everyone's help so far. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, you could always go x-over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm just sharing what I've seen with 6" lifts is that the arm is insufficient to make them steer all the way to the right. I have a 6" on mine and only the arm though, I don't really care if it'll steer all the way or not.

14. RiceDaddy

Kewl. I welcome everyone's experiences and opinions so I do appreciate all the advice that I get. I'm going to lengthen the drag link this evening and I think that should re-center the steering wheel and give me an equal turning ratio to both sides. I'll post up when I'm finished.

15. RiceDaddy

This evening I lengthed my drag link by one inch. It took a little penetrating oil and a pipe wrench, but after I broke it loose, the adjusting collar turned by hand. Now my steering wheel is back straight again and I have an equal amount of turning radius to each side. Also, my turn signals now click off appropriately after a turn is made.

Thanks for everyone's help and it looks like I solved my problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif