Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions again

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Mar 11, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Question 1
    Whenever i crank my truck or it is in park it idles very high. whenever i put it in drive or reverse it drops back to a normal idle. Did they have TPS (throttle positioner switch) or is ther something else wrong?

Question 2
    Whenever I start off from a dead stop it hesitates and then surges. I cleaned the filter in the carbueraetor the other day and it still does it.

Question 3
    Whenever I travel at low speeds (below 40) or take off it seems to be choking. Mainly when my foot is past halfway to the floor. Its like the points are sticking, but those are new and set. That was last week also. This also happens at high speeds when i hit the gas. If I just gently press the gas at high speeds then it will take off smooth as can be. At low speeds gentle or hard pressing it still seems to be choking.

Question 4
    Can your turn signal relay die halfway. My left blinkers work but my rights wont. the lights come on but dont blink. yes i checked the bulbs.

The first three questions I think are all related to the fuel. I just dont know how. the fourth is something simple i'm sure.

Any ideas??, and thanks again for the help ahead of time.

69K5
    Nathan

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If your Blazer has a carburetor, there's no TPS on it. How radical is the engine build? If it's departed from stock heavily, the carburetor will need to be re-tuned to work well with the engine. How high does it idle in neutral or park? Is the idle rough or uneven at all?

You're right in thinking the #2 and #3 problems are associated with fuel. They sound like the engine isn't getting enough fuel. The carburetor's internal passages might be dirty or the accelerator pump might be bad. A vacuum leak might also cause the first three symptoms.

If your turn signals come on but don't blink, the blinker relay is the most likely suspect.

Steve

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

My truck has a completly stock .307 It idles very high. If i put it in neutral and hold the gas I'd say the same as 1/3 to 1/2 to the floor. i dont have a tach so i cant give you RPM's. Whenevr its in park the idles is smooth but fast. Whenevr I'm in drive at a redlight it is constantly up and down. like its choking again. I'm agreeing with you for that with a vaccuum. i'm gonna check the PCV first. I'll do it tommorow. When I go to crank the truck in the morning if i pump the gas it has trouble starting. If i hit it once it cranks right up. is this an automatic choke thing or something?

I think I'm just gonna take off the carb and clean it good.

You were right about the turn signal it was the flasher relay. $3.82 and its fixed.

Thanks again for all the help

Nathan

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

What does it do when your in drive and your foot is not on the brake? I'm not positive, Steve may know for sure, but if the idle is still high you may have a bad check valve on your brake booster. To me it sounds like a vaccum leak somewhere.