Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions Dana 44 8 lug and caddy calipers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShitownK5er, Jun 14, 2003.

1. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

Ok im swapping in a ff14 bolt so i need to convert the front. now when i tried it today i ran into a problem. Got everything off the front and started puting the 8 lug stuff on. Everything went perfect spindels new rotors and the hub. I was almonst done and was putting the caliper on and it doesnt line up now when doing this swap do i need the backing plate and calipers off the 8 lug 44? ITs like the rotor is to far away from for the caliper to slip on. Also i got my caddy calipers for the ff14 bolt for the rear discs but i cant find the ebrake brackets anywhere. My buddy at napa even called the gm dealership and they couldnt find them. So where can i get them? I tried junkyards but those parts have been taken long ago.

Any info is great
    Cody

2. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

18060644 and 18060645 e brake levers

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

yes you need 8 lug calipers.

4. ShitownK5er

greywolf are those napa numbers? and bigblock just the calipers or the calipers and backing plate?
    Thanks guys
    Cody

5. bigblock44k5

should be the same knuckles i believe, just different calipers.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Was it a cadillac dealer you called. Because When I did mine a year ago, I just stopped in the Cadillac dealer, they pulled out the books (No computerized inventory back that far..) looked up the levers & return springs and ordered them. They came in the next day. A little known fact is that Cadillac usally stocks parts for 20 years, that's what the guy said anyhow when I asked him if he thought there was really a shot at getting a 1979 part by ordering it.
    I think I still have the part numbers a written down at home, but I won't be back home until Monday...

BlazerMan

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the calipers are the same, 5, 6, or 8 lug. make sure you have the spacers between the axle flanges and the brake bracket.
    Grant

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i also was told any of the calipers would work ive even heard of ppl using S-10 and malibu calipers

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Grant, I disagree....... Last weekend I got an 8 lug 10 bolt from an '80 sub. I sawpped the hub/rotor assembly and the caliper supprt. I tried to use the calipers that came with the 8 lug front but they were far bigger than my blazer calipers. They were original GM calipers, mine are AutoZone "remans" so maybe that's the difference. But there was NOOO way I was gonna get my 15" wheels over the 3/4 calipers.

10. Seventy4Blazer

i have the origonal set off my 74 and a have a brand new set off a 79 k20. they are the same size, but one is for a 10 bolt and one for a D44. working at the junk yard i have taken many calipers out of cars trucks and what not and they are all the same size, with the few obvious exceptions. IE D60, or cady.
    Grant

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Weird huh? I'll get up and take a digi pic of the 2 different calipers. The GM caliper off of the 8 lug 10 bolt is huuuuuuge compared my Auto Zone calipers /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

although i do know that some instances such as with the 2 wheel drive pickups there are two rotor thicknesses, one is 1.5" thick and other are 1" thicjk and the spindles and calipers castings are different and wont mix with each other, have founf this out the hard way in the past !

so if even 2wd pickup ones had a couple different castings, then,,,,
    hmm...

i have a pair of 72 1/2 ton 44 calipers and a set of 77 3/4 ton 44 calipers, anyone want a casting number comparison done ?

13. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

gm part#s and parking brake spring #1806 0030

14. bigblock44k5

the whole point to a 3/4 ton is to carry more weight than a 1/2 ton. this wouldnt be to safe if they used the exact same brakes. the hub, spindle, and brakes are different.

15. ShitownK5er

ok i got one side done i had to use the backingplate and calipers off of the 8 lug 44 cause to 10 bolt ones didnt line up right and i could see they were different.i ran into a problem agian well first off i broke the bleeder screw off so i need to take it to work and get it out then my stock brake line wont fit the 44 caliper and i didnt want to buy stock ones when i can get longer rubber ones. I did a search but the numbers i got didnt seem to work at the autoparts store (napa aint open on sundays so i went to advanced auto)anyway anyone know the napa numbers for the ones i need? Any info is great cause the blazer is on my street with one small tire and one 35 and has no brakes right now. Boy it sucks not having a garage.

Cody

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

All I did to my blazer was swap the hub/rotor assembly, and the backing plate. I kept everything else the same. So how does it carry more weight? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The rotor and hub are larger so there is more stopping power, but other than that the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front 10 bolts are identical. Or am I missing something

17. Seventy4Blazer

its a distace thing. the rotors are bigger. that puts the caliper out further giving more braking using the same amount of fluid. a combination/proportioning valve is the same for both 3/4 and 1/2.
    Grant

18. bigblock44k5

you supposed to swap the spindle too, which is stronger. the hub is also 8 lug which will help you carry more weight without breaking studs.