Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions for Alaska Residents

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Is there a vehicle inspection in Alaska?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at diesel engines to swap into my truck. I know some states, don't inspect diesels, others do. Most states won't let you swap in an older engine. Some states will let you swap in an older engine as long as it was offered, etc, etc. Just wanting to get some info on the subject. I'm good here in Oklahoma, but if I move up there for my next assignment, I don't want to be screwed.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i am going to guess no

3. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Yes, there is IM laws in Anchorage and Fairbanks. If it is not an option for that vehicle year, it will not pass. This is for gas vehicles. Diesels are exempt, but I do not know how they handle it when one is swamped into a vehicle that was not a disesel from the factory. Here is a link to the DMV IM page:

http://state.ak.us/dmv/reg/imtest.htm

Make sure you read closely, and give them a call before you do the swap. The program is incredibly tight. Much tighter than it needs to be IMO.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Just keep your vehicle registered in OK:D . I always kept my vehicle registered in my home state, ESPECIALLY when I was stationed in California. Unless the laws have changed, it is totally legal, including drivers license.

5. ARAMP1

It's not that easy. I'm not an Oklahoma resident.

Thanks for the info ODOA3. This is not good...

This program targets gasoline powered vehicles which are the primary source of carbon monoxide pollution. Vehicles that are powered by dual fuel and diesel are subject to an inspection as well.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

It used to be, when military, you could choose either your HOR, or your current duty station to be a resident.

Used to be, you could get an OK license, using your duty station address, then tag your vehicles there. Don't know if that has changed or not.:confused: :confused:

7. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a diesel has to be inspected at time of 1st registration or when ownership changes to make sure it is a diesel.if the rig was a gasoline engine and is swaped to a diesel it has to be inspected to make sure it has a diesel in it.
    they only want to make sure it has a diesel in it then you get a diesel waiver.they cannot at this time do tail pipe tests on the the diesel.there are no safety inspections here.

8. ARAMP1

So, they only inspect to verify that it is a diesel? Sounds kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Does the diesel engine need to be offered in that truck? (ie Cummins/Detroit/other than 6.2/6.5 in a chevy?)