Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions for college students

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nc87k5, Dec 16, 2006.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

do any of you guys take online classes? I'm starting two classes in the next couple weeks and was curious if they were harder than sitting in the classroom. I really want to go full time, but my advisor suggested getting back into the swing of doing homework, since I've been out of school for 15 yrs, and then adding more each semester as I get better commiting more of my time to it.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not really a "college kid", but I've been taking classes the last 2 years.

I've taken 3 online classes through the community college. They're not bad. You have to be self motivated. The biggest thing I figured out is that you have to spend at least the same amount of time working on the classwork as you would normally spend in the classroom.

Our 3 credit classes run 75-minutes 2 nights a week. So on the online classes I would spend the same amount of time working plus a little considering homework.

At our college, the instructors can set up the courses however they like. I've heard other schools that focus primarily on Internet classes have standardized setups for all the classes. With the way our school does it, the quality of the class depends A LOT on the instructor. If the instructor isn't on the ball with the online stuff, the classes are a pain.

Knowing how bulletin boards like CK5 work will help. I never understood how places like CK5 worked until I learned about bulletin boards taking online classes.

I like the classroom setting better myself, but that is partly because I never read the textbook. I can pick it up in class. Online classes will require more book study.

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took 5 classes online over the past year. I won't do it again. I thought it was pretty hard. If you can't get something figured out, its really hard to find time to go meet with the teacher for help. I worked in the day, so i couldn't get any help. For me, its worth it to just attend regular classes.

4. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

aot of my friends have done online classes and they all seem to have problems learning the material without an instructor, i havnt and probably wont try an online class.

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I've only done one online class. I did great in it because I got a lot of the work done ahead of time, ad i could do it whereever I was (with my laptop). My main problem with classes is finding the time to do homework between when it's assigned and when it's due. I usually have that time fully booked already with my many responsibilities. I would definitetly do more online classes if they were offered at the senior level at my school.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Judging how it took me three quarters to fail my correspondence classes with the awesome grade of 0.0, I don't think I'll ever take an online class.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

well, sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. I appreciate the advice.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm taking one next semester... But I don't care if I don't learn the material, it's just my one credit of computer science that's required for a degree... And I may never have to set up a Local Area Network in my life :doah: