Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions for fabricators

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by scavenger, Jan 10, 2003.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I need to get a new torch setup that is capable of cutting up to 2" thick mild steel, and also heating bar stock that is approx 1/2" thick and up to 6" wide for bending. I presently have a Tote Weld by Airco that is capable of cutting up to 1/2", but does not put out enough heat for bending anything too large. The Tote Weld has a small oxygen cylinder and uses a smaller (throw away) Mapp gas cylinder. I would like to know if anyone has any idea of what brand of torch is reliable, and what accessories I would need to get in order to have it perform the above work. Also, when I bought the Tote Weld several years ago I opted for the Mapp gas because the dealer stated that working with Mapp is a lot safer than using very unstable acetyline....any opinions on what fuel to use? I have seen several torch packages offered over the internet that state the torch is "Victor compatable" but are no name brands, or made by Generico like the ones from Northern Tool. I will be using the new torch for cutting and heating only, so welding capabilities are not a factor. I would also like to know what size of tanks would be best suited for keeping the new setup light weight and mobile. Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you seriously plan on cutting 2" and bending 1/2" x 6" I think you are gonna need a real torch set-up, not a hobby set up. MAPP is fine.

The size of the torch, the tips, and the line size will determine the upper limits of what it can cut. Victor and Harris are some good brands. I don't really have a preference...

Tank size depends on you more than anything. I'd lean towards the fullsize bottles if you're gonna be using it for heavy cutting and bending though. For cutting 2" plate you'll need to have some good flow and a good size 'kerf'. The fullsize torches accept many sizes of torch tips.

For heating I'd recomend getting a small to medium sized "Rosebud", it'll do the same work much faster than a regular torch will.

Rene

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene,
    Now I have an idea of what I need. I think I'll go a little larger than what I think I will ever use. As far as the cylinders go I will get larger ones for the Mapp and oxygen. The little torch setup works great for small projects, but has a hard time getting 1/4" x 2" flat stock warm enough to sweat let alone getting it hot enough to bend.......Thanks again

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No problem, good luck with it!

Rene