Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions - For K5 owners with TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I need to install a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on my 78 K5 with later model TBI system. This sensor is needed for the ECM to go into Closed loop for better hwy performance. Plus I have heard it will not pass emissions because it does not use the O2 sensor until the computer senses speed, and goes into closed loop. Does anyone know where the factory VSS is located on newer '87-'91 K5s with TBI? I thought about just buying a universal one from Stealth Conversions for around $85. But, I figured I should ask if anybody knows where the VSS is located, so I can check the local Junkyards for one. What did you do when swapping in TBI/TPI into your older K5???

Thanks

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

On a stock 4X4 w/ TBI, the VSS plugs into the transfer
    case, near the output shaft. There is a toothed wheel on the output shaft that the sensor picks up the signal from.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

3. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

On my '89 with tbi, The speedo cable plugs into the side of the transfer case. Had it off a few times trying different speedo gears to correct speedo after gear and tire changes. Nothing there but two gears running against each other. Worm in the transfer case and helical cut on the cable. I thought VSS showed up in the early 90's. ???
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I recently swapped a 205 into my 87 Jimmy with TBI. After the swap, I got codes for a bad VSS b/c I had no where to put the sensor. I made a few calls and finally found a place that makes a sensor that goes in-between the speedo gear and the t-case. I called Ron Francis Wire-Works http://www.wire-works.com and they were the ones who told me about the sensor. It is $89.00 and is compatible with the GM TBI. I should have it in and installed by next week. I hope this helps out.

BIGJ