Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions for Stephen

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 1972Blazer, Jun 10, 2003.

1. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am trying to find the answers to a few question prior to calling as I am located in Okinawa, Japan till September. Once we get these questions answered I can call and place the order so the parts will be waiting on me upon my return.
    1) I am converting the transfer case, I have decided on useing a TH400/NP205 vice my current setup TH350/NP205. I want to purchase the conversion parts from you and wonder about the adapter that is between the TH350 and the NP205 will it work with the TH400 or will I need a new adapter? If I do need a new adapter do you have one for sale?
    2) I currently just installed a set of Rough Country Springs front and rear, they shipped 4" front and 6" rear springs. I will not be running with a hard top so the back is at least 2" higher then the front. Here are my thoughts, can I install your extended 1/2" greaseable shackles and remove the overload leaf from the rear spring pack to get it about level? I dont tow anything heavier then a small ATV trailer. I would also like to install your greaseable suspension bushings for the rest of the suspension as plain Poly is much to harsh. On the rear upper shackle bushings the bolt is turned so the head faces the frame, are your bolts and nuts shallow enough to install so this point is greased too?
    3) I also need new Performance Bump Stops. Whith the lift I have should I use the 3" or the 4.5" Bumpstops, I do not want to limit the travel of the suspension prematurely?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think I got most of this in another email but here's the rest:
    You do need a new adapter for the 400/205, we can get them new, they're $380.00. Pretty steep but all that's available and brand new.
    #2 was all covered before.
    #3 I'd recommend the 4.5" bumpstops, no production spring is designed for the kind of travel they have potential for. typically if you run more than 4-5" of bump out of a lift spring it's going to bend. That 4-5" may even be too much for some springs. When you consider that under a hard hit the 4.5" bumpstops compress to about 2.5", you really need to have the stop pretty close to the strikeplate to start with.

3. 1972Blazer

Stephen;
    I never did receive a reponse on the other e-mail but I found most of my answers through other posts. I want to thank you for your help. Is it my understanding that the TH400 and the new adapter/mount will be almost the same length as my current TH350/NP205 setup? I should be able to move the engine forward to compensate for any small differences, or am I way off track? I have not even seen my Blazer since June of 2002. I just want to get right to work as soon as I arrive. Do you have the adapter/mount and TH400 conversion kits in stock? ($580.00 is alot or am I forgeting something)

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You are going to have a fairly large length change, the adapter is 1/2" longer and the trans is about 3" longer so you'll have to deal with about 3.5" more. I don't think the motor mounts will take that up but you'll see when you get there. Maybe some 1st gen owners have played with this more.
    We have the parts or can get them in just a couple days, no problem.

5. 1972Blazer

Thanks I will give you a call before I head home so I can have it waiting for me!! Appreciate all the help.