Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions for the diesel gods

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by supersize75, Mar 12, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

latly I have really been hearing interesting things about the 6.2, here's what I am wondering..

do diesels run a carb just like a gas motor or are they different? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

also I have a t-400 tranny can this be used with a diesel or will I be stuck running the 700r-4

I can get a 6.2 pretty cheap and wondering why they are so special? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I currently have a bbc 396 with a mild cam, head work, headers roller rockers intake bla, bla, bla

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

No carbs on a diesel, everything is direct or indirect injection. Obviously no spark plugs either. Earlier models had a mechanical injector pump, so less electronics.

I do believe they were available with the 400, and some people swapped 'em in.

6.2 will last 300,000+ Miles before rebuild. Get's good mileage with decent power (not gasser power, but you can pull stuff with it, torque comes on REAL early) and you can add a turbo and really boost that output a lot.

3. supersize75

the gas mopg interest me and I dont know how much turbos are, but I heard numbers of almost 300hp and near 400lbs of tourqe, are these close to real world figures from a 6.2 or a 6.5?

4. supersize75

also does this mean no bogging down or flooding like a carb will /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    also does this mean no bogging down or flooding like a carb will /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well first, bogging down or flooding isn't in the Diesel dictionnary, you can run them upside down if you can keep the gas tank sealed and the oiling in the engine working properly.
    As for HP numbers, there is a thread here that has them accross the years, look for a thread by TRUSTYK5, but I have a mag in front of me now with 82-84 numbers for the 6.2l blazer:
    130 HP @3600RPM (net)
    240 LBS-FT @2000RPM (net)
    These are factory numbers.

6. 4x4dreamer

A diesel will pretty much run upside down, no problems at all. They're essentially waterproof as well, except for the intake, if you get water there, you have a problem. 21:1 Compression and water don't mix.

A banks turbo kit runs about 1800 bucks. Comes with a turbo, a "ram air" intake, a full exhaust system (minus the manifold) and a boost gauge and Exhaust temp gauge. They quote figures of +60 hp and +115 lb-ft torque from stock. A stock 6.2 puts out 140 HP and about 240 Lb/ft from what my manual says.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the gas mopg interest me and I dont know how much turbos are, but I heard numbers of almost 300hp and near 400lbs of tourqe, are these close to real world figures from a 6.2 or a 6.5?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the 6.5l it was rated at
    180 HP @3600RPM
    360LBS-FT @2000RPM

The Banks turbo sidewinder kit was rated at:
    207 HP @ ???
    398 LBS-FT @ ???

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The stock hp and torque numbers have been listed for you.

300 hp is really not very realistic, without major modifications. I've never heard of a 300 hp 6.2L. However, I know of several 300 hp 6.5L's. The 6.5L is just an improved version of the 6.2L with more displacement, better flowing heads, etc. The factory GM turbocharger is wastegated, allowing for more control of boost pressures. The only way to achieve 300 hp in a 6.5L is to replace the pistons with special low-comp pistons to reduce the compression ratio from 21:1 down to 18:1, install a high-performance fuel injection pump and injectors, install an intercooler to keep boost temperatures down, and install a high-performance exhaust.

These kinds of modifications are very expensive, but it has been done. Check out www.thedieselpage.com for examples of such where they built a 300 hp 6.5L.

Now then, after saying all that, most of us are satisifed with the stock 6.2L/6.5L diesels. Adding a Banks turbo wakes them up really well. They ain't gonna run like your 396, that's for sure. But we will definitely go a lot farther on a tank of fuel! I average 19 mpg with my truck, and it has enough power to pull large loads. It's just not very fast off the line. Maybe after I get my turbo installed.

In my mind, the diesel engine is superior to all gasoline engines. There are no carbs, no spark plugs, no spark plug wires, no electronics (on the pre '94 Chevys, anyway), and they have excellent low-end torque and are great for off-roading. With an intake snorkel, they'll run underwater because there's no electrics to short out. And as was mentioned, they'll run at any angle because of the fuel injection system.

Diesels rule!

Casey

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, one other thing:

The 6.2L an 6.5L diesel shares the same bellhousing pattern as any small/big block Chevy gasser. So the 6.2L will bolt to any Chevy tranny.

Casey

10. 4x4dreamer

Diesels are the bomb. I've only had mine for less then a year, and I am a convert big time.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Diesels are the bomb. I've only had mine for less then a year, and I am a convert big time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words right out of my mouth! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(6.2 diesel owner for about 5 months.)

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recently (early last summer) began lurking in this forum trying to get as much info and knowledge as I could. I had a tired 350 and wanted to upgrade. My goals were mostly to work much better off road and it couldn't be a majorly expensive project cuz i'm a poor working (sometimes...) slob.

I used to dread steep off camber stuff with my old carbed 350 because just as soon as the trail got fun I spent most of my time trying to keep it running. My mileage was about 9-11 on 36" tires...

My choices were:

1) rebuild the 350 and convert to propane.
    2)rebuild the 350 and convert to TBI
    3) swap in a 6.2

Propane comes with a bit of a power loss, it isn't nearly as cheap as it once was and tank location was the final con that struck option #1 out.

The TBI works well, probably wouldn't increase my mileage though. Also I'd be adding more electronics and junk.

The 6.2 fit my goals the best, after the research the decision was easy. All told I spent under $1000 US to swap to the 6.2 and I'm a total convert now too!

The diesel kicks ass off road, I recently got a chance to see just how well it works and I was completely amazed. I bolted my 6.2 to my SM465 and first gear low range is outright amazing. The 6.2 probably has enough torque at idle to smoke the clutch before stalling...

My mileage now? A pretty consistant 17 mpg (us gallons) That is a 6300+ lbs truck on 39.5" TSL's with 4.56 gears and no overdrive.

Rene

13. 4x4dreamer

There's about a million people out there who will tell you the 6.2 is crap and it'll die and there are better diesels out there. And there are better diesels out there. But the 6.2 is a VERY solid engine. No, you won't win any drag races, but you will also not get any speeding tickets. It's NOT a Cummins, it's an engine that Debuted 20 years ago. And they're still on the road. It's NOT the 350 Diesel that GM put out, which is why everyone will tell you it's crap. It's a Detroit Diesel. I think they know a think or two about engines. As long as you change the oil and filters regularly, and keep an eye and ear open for telltale signs, you will be very happy with the mileage and torque it provides you. The sound of it is addicting, as is the smell. I'm not saying it's the Be-all, End-all of engines, but it's a very solid engine that will do pretty much whatever you want it to.
    I bought mine knowing it was going to be a dog compared to my last truck ('97 Dakota with a 318) and it actually puts out more than I thought it would...so I wasn't disappointed.
    The best part is when people ask you what's under the hood and you tell them it's a Diesel and they get all shocked and go, "I didn't know those came with Diesels!"
    [/Diesel Rah Rah]

14. Dick

Dick Registered Member

I drove a 6.2 it was slow and did not move of the line very fast. In fact it seemed to bog down. Does the turbo make that much of a difference ?
    Thanks for any advise
    Dick

15. 4x4dreamer

It's supposed to. The more air you can cram in a diesel, the better. You can't run it too lean, it's a beautiful thing. I've heard that a turbo will make a 6.2 run with a stock 350, but out-tow it by a long shot...but that's only what I've heard.

16. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

If you swap that 6-spew in place of that 396 I will: 1-slap you and 2- trade your 396 for some 6-puke parts. Lets see, We've got three engines you could probably make one engine out of, wait you still needa crank since they are all crank-busters /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. If you need gas milage put a small block in and get 15-17 mpg and still have power. I dont know what gas prices are there but diesel is 10 cents more than gas here.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I drove a 6.2 it was slow and did not move of the line very fast. In fact it seemed to bog down. Does the turbo make that much of a difference ?
    Thanks for any advise
    Dick

[/ QUOTE ]

It does make a big difference DAY/NIGHT

18. 4x4dreamer

you mean the 6.2 is a crank buster? I thought the bottom ends were pretty tough...I've never heard of anyone breaking a crank in one.

19. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you need gas milage put a small block in and get 15-17 mpg and still have power.

[/ QUOTE ] HOW?

20. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Almost every broken crank is directly attributed to a bad harmonic balancer. If you hate diesels stay out of the diesel board /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif By the way I pull 20mpg pretty routinely, I've yet to see a small block do that. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif