Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions for you guys.

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by Gorillajeep, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Gorillajeep

Gorillajeep 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok guys, it look like I will be picking up the Orange/white 75 Blazer this week. I will post up some better pic's as soon as it's resting in my driveway. :laugh: I am sure the Great pumpkin name will stick becaue of when it entered our family. . . lol

Anyway, I am looking to make it into a "mild wheeler/possible DD" If there is one thing I have learned wheeling/building Jeeps all these years. It's to ask questions to the guys there wheel the spots that you plan on wheeling. :bow: This will be my first K-5 build up. At this time I do not plan on running anything bigger then 35's ( they are already on it.) I do not want to go one ton unless you guys think I have too. I plan on running places like Uwharrie, light trails at Telico, Paragon, and some out west. I do not want to tear the body up to bad, some body damage is to be expected. The Blazer currently sports a 4in Rancho lift, 35's BFG MT, On Stockton 15x10, 400 SB, TH350, stock axles, and stock ratio. I do plan on selectable lockers (ARB's most likely) Where should I start? (i.e. what is the weak link: Jeep examples; two piece rear axles in the AMC20) I want to know what you guys would have done different, or not?
    Thanks,
    James

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Part time T/C unless someone already did that...........sliders, skid plates, and 4.11/4.56's fer the axles. I have been wheeling my 10/12B axles, though I'm relatively easy on the throttle. That's the only reason I want to go with 1 ton gear, full throttle runs with the Blown 350 I have waiting on an engine stand! :wink1:

3. Gorillajeep

From what I understand it's a 44/12b combo. I very well could be wrong. As far as the full throttle assults. I had a juiced up 383 (right about 400 ponys) in one of my CJ-7! That was a white knuckle ride! I have worked alot of that out of my system with that Jeep. :doah: I am just looking for a good play toy, I am glad to hear that there are other guys still running the stock axles.
    James

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I think someone in the region says different.:D:D

5. 79Stomper

Anyways for the 44/12bolt combo, should be fine with 35's on them. I wouldn't bother upgrading until you start snapping axle shafts and such. Look into a good carb(q jet) or fuel injection of some sort. Some steep places in URE that will kill a street carb. Other that that a soft lift that will let the axles droop a little bit but not crazy flex like 52's or 64's. Those just seem to make it a little les streetable and require crossover in the front. Crossover wouldn't be bad on it though as long as you had the flat top knuckles. Blazers are a PITQA to turn on those tight Jeep trails everyone likes to run.

6. dontoe

Now, who would think I'm not throttle shy? :rolleyes:

Relatively is the operative word............I'd love to be able to hear the four barrel moan and the cherry bombs rappin' smokin' the tires on the slick rock/rock ledges!!! :wink1:

7. Gorillajeep

This will so sound like a nob question. . . .How can I tell if it has been done already? If it has locking frt hubs? I have been reading about the shift pattern changing and all. I am searching now but if anybody could give me a little nudge in the right direction?
    James

8. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thanks for asking the question. I'm in a similar situation, but not as far along and mine won't be a dd. CB has already given me a few suggestions such as 4" front springs, shackle flip and steering box brace. Now just gotta find this stuff.

9. dontoe

Locking hugs is a good sign, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's been converted. I guess you can remove a u joint/drive shaft from either the front or rear and see................:laugh:

10. nutsthename

On mine, there is a locking hub on the passenger side only. Is the common for a 78? Sorry James not trying to hijack your thread.

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nope. You either had a pair (HAHA!) or drive flanges.

12. nutsthename

Kinda what I figured. Someone started, but never finished. You can have your thread back now James. Thanks

13. Gorillajeep

Updates! It is not resting comfortably in the rear of my buddies shop. I will get some pic's up ASAP I have already done alot of the assembly. I am stoked to get this guy up and running. As for the thread hi-jack, I never care as long as it's a sort of on topic qustion. THe funny thing now is I am asking teh same question. If it has front locking hubs, how do you know for sure if the t-case has been upgraded? :confused: I also have another question. I will post up in the Garage too. Will the door windows out of a 77 C-10 fit the Blazer? Again it's a 75. From the looks they are pretty close. I just want to be sure, before I will this guy with the 77's doors, appart.
    James

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  14. 79Stomper

Easy way to check is to have someone stand outside the vehicle while your in it going slowly and have them watch the Front d shaft. It shouldn't turn if it has the part time kit installed. Mine did at times and sometimes it didn't and I had the part time kit. I didn't install it, the PO had.

Another way, drive it and take a turn with the hubs locked in and it in 2wd. If it is hesitant to turn on concrete then it hasn't been converted.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

15. Gorillajeep

Updates

Well good news for a rainy day. Primed the motor last night and started cranking it over. I got about half way on the oil pressure gage! :D Next step is to get it up and running. The windshield is soposed to be going in today! The optima red top I put in it keeps craping out, maybe a short some where.:rolleyes: That should be fun to find. Things are comming along nicely. Now all I have to do it get the PO to get me the top for it ( I hope it's in OK shape) It's been sitting in a field :o so well see. Anybody got a back seat that they are not going to use?
    James

16. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Glad you are making progress.:waytogo:

Where are the pics? I need pics. We want 'em. Now.:D

17. Gorillajeep

No pic's yet, wife has been yelling at me about stealing the camera. Anyway, replaced the cap,rotor,module,and coil, I have spark now. I have pulled the fuel line off anf I have fuel comming to the carb. It still will not fire up though. I cannot hear or see any fuel when I pump the throttle, so I guess the carb needs a good rebuild. It's soooooo close though. :dunno:
    After three days they finally got the windshield in, they had to use two different gaskets or something. I will get some pic's up soon.
    Thanks for your help guys
    James

18. 79Stomper

Have you pulled the plugs to see if the chamber is getting any fuel? I would check that out and if it is getting fuel and still not firing then it is a compression problem, meaning the lifters have to be adjusted.

Lifters have ALWAYS kicked my butt in getting them set right.

19. Gorillajeep

Well I am hopefully going to replace the plugs and wires, this week. I have them sitting in the Blazer right now:rolleyes: . I did reset the the distributer, and got it to run for about 8 seconds, progress, but still no running. I hope the pulg wire do it. Next is get into the Carb. see what's going on there. I got a bunch of pic's today, but I cannot get them off here at work I will post up tonight, sorry for the delay. I dod get a good hard top! It still has the factors roof rack and the rear stainless spoiler. Looks awesome. I will get he pic's up tonight.
    James

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

To check the case for part time if it has locking hubs; if you have to put the case into one of the "Loc" positions it is converted.

Truck doors and K5 doors '76 and up will need to be cut if you want to use them with the hardtop.

1/2 tons &35s worked good for me but YMMV.

Good luck with the project.