Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nau81blazer, May 21, 2004.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello all,
    I've got a few questions about gears and such:

1. When you buy a locker does it already come geared?

2. I'm getting a 14ff (I currently have a 12b), do i need to get a new driveshaft?

3. What is the diffence between a Full-floating and Semi-floating 14?

4. Will I need to change out any of my braking system when I switch to one ton axles?

Feel free to answer and few or as many questions as you'd like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I appreciate your massive amounts of knowledge!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks again guys!
    --Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

1. No it doesn't. However for the 14 bolt full floater you want, as long as its an open carrier , the locker fits directly into what you have if you get a detroit.
    2. You will more than likely just be able to utilize a conversion u-joint.
    3. Full floater has hubs and spindles, axle merely fits through and does not support truck, break a axle truck keeps rim on. Semi floater is axle and hub as one, break a axle rim and tire roll away, you drop to backplate, you are done ( ouch ).
    4. You will need to figure out parking brake cables, possibly the brake proportioning ( but not always ) , and the lines will probably bolt up ( my friends 89 accepted a 73 14bff easily ).

Just have fun , take it at a pace you can handle, and feel free to call on the guys here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

get the 14b with a detroit and the gears in it already, it will cut your costs down. As for the driveshaft you need to get a conversion joint as said before PN# 348 at napa will get you a hybrid joint. Oh and don't forget about new u-bolts for the axle. Oh ya and you will need 8 lug wheels because the 14ff has 8 instead of 6 lug on your 1/2 ton stuff.

And welcome to CK5

Jesse

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

You sound exactly like myself in 98. I was going to NAU and acutally found myself asking the same questions. Now my rig is finally coming together. Now for some answers...
    I replaced my booster
    lug nuts
    ubolts
    u bolt plates
    brakeline adapters?
    possible drivshaft shortening?
    conversion ujoints
    correct gearing in front and rear axle (should be the same and hopefully you know what you have so you don't have to count)
    sway bar stuff (if I were you I'd just throw it all away)

I miss the cinders and wheeling in the winter... I know of a little sideroad that take you to Shultz Pass (which is closed in the winter) and allows access to the peaks. Probably shouldn't be back there but my dogs loved it... Deep snow, nobody around. Just my blazer, my dogs and my gun

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Why do you need a 14? You towing> don't get ca8ught up in that have to have one ton stuff. You get that 14 to get that clearnece back you loose over that 12 you need to go to 38's or bigger. Now if your planning on going that big fine but if not then don't need the 14. If your staing 35 or smaller that 12 is all you need. Two of the hardest wheelers on this site are still rinng 1/2 ton gear and not having any big breakage and they are in AZ.
    Go look for stuff from Robzilla and Marv Springer. Those boys can get your into all the trouble you can handle. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Wow, thanks for the info guys. I am actually planning on running some 38.5 TSL's so i figured i'd get the gears and axles done at the same time. Clearance would be an issue if i wasn't going bigger /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Anyone else have an opinion??

Thanks for the info and welcome guys!
    --Adam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif