Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions from a newbie.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84blazerwhoopee, Feb 16, 2004.

1. 84blazerwhoopee

84blazerwhoopee Registered Member

Hi Folks, I'm new at this and need some advice.

I bought an 84K5 Blazer and need a good repair manual to start fixing the little things. It's stock, and I drove it from California back to Minnesota and noticed it had a hard time handling overdrive, due to the larger than normal tires. I assume that I now need to change the rear end gears to allow the engine to run better, but I have no clue on how to do this. As I said, I'm new at this, and it is my daily driver as well.

My plan is to take the top off this summer and let the kids enjoy some air time, but I also want to install roll bars to protect them. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks one and all for all the advice.

Randy mcLain /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

IMO, cahnging gears isn't something a novice should try on their own. They're relatively expensive & it's pretty labor intensive.

My tranny should have gone out long ago. I drivwe with it in 3rd gear until I get up to ~70 & then shift into OD. I also manually down shift to 3 any time I go uphill or need to pass. If you have big tires & numerically low gears, you'll eventually burn it up pretty much no matter what you do.

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Go here http://www.ring-pinion.com/calculators/calculatorsind.html & click on the rpm calculator. You put in tire size, gear ratio, & a speed to see what your rpms will be.

I have no idea what you know or don't know so if this is elementary to you I'm sorry & I don't mean to insult your intelligence. Typical ratios are 3.08, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 5.13 & they go a little higher for your axle but then you start to make the truck unstreetable.

I think with 33" tires & an OD tranny, 4.10 would be a good ratio, but I always get tempted to go 5.13 if I have to pay to have them changed. I guess it's a way to get more bang for the buck.

Also remember if it's 4WD, you have to do the same gear change to the front or you can never put it in 4WD. It will destroy your transfer case if you do.

4. 84blazerwhoopee

Wow Mike, good info. Thanks, and yes, I know NOTHING.....yet. It does seem logical tho if I change the ring gears that it should make the tranny work less, as it shifts constantly back and forth from OD back to 3rd. Drives me crazy. It does it even on a level road if I try to go above about 65-70mph.

When you state tire size, you just measure across the tire itself and not worry about the rim, right? Like I said, I'm a novice here.

Also, any ideas on a service manual? I have some projects to do on this thing and I need a good info source.

Randy

5. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Drive with your tranny in 3 or you're gonna burn up that tranny fast.

The tire size should be on the sidewall. ie 33/12.5/15 unless it's listed in a metric size ie P235/70/15. If that's the case, you can measure from top to bottom on your tire for the size.

For a service manual, I just get one from the parts store. But they have a large year range so you have to be smart enough to figure out what you have in/on your truck so you follow the correct procedure.

You might try www.chevyduty.com to see if they have a year specific manual for yor truck.

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

One more thing I should mention since you're new to all this: A roll bar won't fully protect you or your kids in a roll over so be careful. It's better than having nothing, but not as good as a well built roll cage(but that gets expensive).

If you paln to do any wheeling, look into better ways to protect your kids in case of a roll over.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Welcome to CK5!
    1. As for a repair manual, you've got the best one right here at CK5, just post a question and it'll be answered. You should also pick a Haynes Manual for stuff like torque numbers, fluid capacity etc. As for other, more in depth repairs that book is useless.

2. What size tires do you have? I agree that you shouldn't take on a gear change when your green, it's best left up to someone who knows what they're doing. And I concur with not using the overdrive unless your on the highway for extended periods of time. Just leave it in "D" for everything else.

3. You should definately take the top off this summer! That's what it's made for. As for letting your kids ride back there, I wouldn't do it without a rollcage, especially off-road(Obviously people aren't supposed to be back there on the highway). You can make a search for "family cage", "rollcage" for different types and styles.
    Good Luck

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know what peoples opinions are of them, that have full cages on their rigs, but you CAN find factory rollbars that were in these trucks. If you keep your eyes peeled, eventually you will see one.

IMO the factory roll bar is just as effective as driving around with the top on...the only strong part of the top is at the very rear where a factory roll bar sits anyways. (and probably right against the cab)

The rest of the top isn't protection from anything more than flying debris, as it's very thin fiberglass, and the truck weight would easily crush it in any place but the very back. (for example you roll onto a pointy rock, it will punch right through the center of the top)

At least thats how I see it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It may not be dropping down to 3rd everytime. The 700R-4's have a locking torque convertor, and when it locks rpm drops about 200 rpm or so.

To confirm it's just the convertor locking and unlocking drive it OD on a level road...keep the throttle position constant and with your left foot lightly apply the brakes. You only need to apply them enough to turn the brake lights on. You should notice the rpms change. there is a switch that unlocks the convertor during braking.

Higher numerical gears will help at any rate.

Rene

10. 84blazerwhoopee

Re: Roll cages

Any suggestions on where I can find a kit to install? I'd like one that fits inside the hard top/canvas cover when I get around to getting one.....

Also, I have a rear window that's locked up. It's manual, and the previous owner says I need a regulator. Any info on what I need and where I can get it?

Muchas Graziass

Rando

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: Roll cages

If you want a new regulater, LMC trucks. Or put a post up in the "wanted" section. I'm sure you can find a used one from somebody.

If you wanta rollbar that really is going to protect you, I think a weld in bar is about the best plan. I have aa S@W cage in my 73. AND as a member, you get a discount with them!!