Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions from a rookie

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spotnbirds, Mar 20, 2002.

1. spotnbirds

spotnbirds Newbie

I just bought an 84 blazer and it has 6 inches of lift on it. Is there a way for me to figure out what particular lift was put on it? i.e. superlift or skyjacker or whatever? Also, I have some really basic questions because I'm new to this. Can I leave the hubs locked during the winter so that if I come across a need for 4wd I can just shift on the fly? Or does leaving them locked damage something? Do i need to do the reverse for 10 ft thing when going from 4hi back to 2wd or is that just coming out of 4lo?
    thanks everyone for your patience with my rookie questions!

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt leave them locked...
    will bind the front shafts on cornering...

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

well it seems to be they are manual hubs since you are talking about leaving them locked. Personally i wouldn't nothing is going to bind unless you have some kinda of locker or spool, but it will make your axles and drive shaft spin needlessly. The only situation that 4 wheel drive would help you on is slow speed i believe. i think at high speeds it would just make it easier to loose control. i'm not the one to ask on that question though, for i live in southeast texas. later - Doug

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

>I just bought an 84 blazer and it has 6 inches of lift on it.

congrats! Blazers rule!

> Is there a way for me to figure out what particular lift was
    > put on it? i.e. superlift or skyjacker or whatever?

the only way I can tell what kinda kit is on mine is to look at the front springs. They say rancho on them and have the part number. Its faded tho... so you might not be able to get that kinda info off yours, you'd just have to look (if u havent already). Other than that, I dont see any way to tell... shocks are not lift kit specific... and lift blocks (if u have them in the rear) dont have any markings on them either (atleast the ones that came with my rancho kit dont!).

> Also, I have some really basic questions because I'm new
    > to this. Can I leave the hubs locked during the winter so
    > that if I come across a need for 4wd I can just shift on the
    > fly?

no you shouldnt do that. Hopping out to turn your hub dials isnt THAT much of a trial is it? Kinda the price ya pay for the superior durability of manual locking hubs. You could slap some automatic ones on there.... if you arent worried about said durability...

> Do i need to do the reverse for 10 ft thing when going from
    > 4hi back to 2wd or is that just coming out of 4lo?

I never have in my 85... then again, maybe Ive been doing it wrong the whole time! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

> thanks everyone for your patience with my rookie
    > questions!

not a problem at all, thats what sites like CK5 are all about.. helping people. The help/advice I have got from members here is priceless. Its the least that I can do to help others,

J

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Congrates on your Blazer. ?1 Yes and no like said above check for a part# on the front springs 50/50 chance of 1 being there. ?2 When I had my 1/2ton axles on my 84 I left them locked in for about a year and a half and didnt have any problems what so ever. "Shift on the fly" not with a 208(guessing thats what you have). ?3 No you dont have to reverse back 10' for shifting your tcase from any gear to any gear. Sometimes if you cant get it to yank outta gear then slap it in reverse for a foot or so, but your tcase has to be real stubborn for that one.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The backing up 10 ft deal is for unlocking auto hubs. Since you have manual now there is no need to do this.
    I would not run all winter with the hubs locked but in poor weather conditions (snow and ice) yeah go for it. The 208 is not a shift on the fly case. Your best to be stopped or rolling under 5 mph in Neutral to engage 4x4. You don''t want to be in 4x4 unless you have a loose traction condition that will allow wheels to slip if the drive line binds.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 208 and 241 are shift on the fly...provided the hubs are locked or you have auto hubs. Shifting to low range would require stopping, and tranny in nuetral etc though. Flip down the drivers sun visor and read it for yourself...

Even a NP 205 can be shifted on the fly. It's not technically supposed to be but I've gone from 2 hi to 4 hi in the snow quite often. I usually don't do this above 25 mph though. In winter conditions i leave my hubs locked and drive in 2 hi for the bare and cleared parts of the roads and then let off on the gas and shift to 4 hi when I hit the side streets. The front driveshaft keeps the front output of the T-case spinning at the same speed as the rest of the drivetrain so there's no gear clash or shifting problems at all.

On dirt roads I've had to back up a couple of feet to take the 'stress' off the front hubs in order to unlock them before. On snow it's not an issue though.

Rene

8. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I shift on the fly with the manual's locked in even at 60 mph

9. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...In winter conditions i leave my hubs locked and drive in 2 hi for the bare and cleared parts of the roads and then let off on the gas and shift to 4 hi when I hit the side streets. The front driveshaft keeps the front output of the T-case spinning at the same speed as the rest of the drivetrain so there's no gear clash or shifting problems at all...

<hr></blockquote>

I do the same thing. Flipped my hubs to 'lock' in October, haven't touched them since. Hrm...maybe that's why my fuel economy is poor? Heck, I tried low range the other day to get out of my my cul-de-sac.

Anyway, haven't noticed any problems with keeping the hubs locked for long periods of time. Just depends how often you are actually using 4wd.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I have Rancho 4" blocks and on one edge...Cant remember is its the spring side, or the axle tube side...."Rancho" is cast into them. I don't know if other manufactures do this though. Also alot of trouble to go through. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There's absolutely no reason why you can't keep the hubs locked in during the winter (I'm assuming you have manual locking hubs, you don't have much choice if it has auto hubs). It will not cause any binding unless it has a spool or a locker in the front diff. It will cause the front end components to spin which results in slightly more wear, but not enough to make any real difference....it's actually good to run with the hubs locked in on a regular basis to keep everything lubed up. My last daily driver had manual hubs and I locked them in any time there was any chance of snow. I noticed that during the winters a lot of the side streets and parking lots were not cleared, so being able to quickly shift into four wheel drive was nice. Also when turning onto the busy main streets from a side street it was nice to switch it into 4x4 for traction instead of just sitting there spinning.

Concerning backing up when shifting back into 2 wheel drive, there is no reason to do this with the manual hubs. This was just a procedure for the auto hubs to make sure they unlocked.