Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions, Full Time 4X4 and breather cap on engine question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ancient_4X4, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Ancient_4X4

Ancient_4X4 Registered Member

I have a 77 Chevy Bonanza 4X4, 400ci, TH400, np203. Ok, first off I'd like to say that I've been having an ongoing problem of oil leaking out of my breather cap that was put on when my truck got it's Edelbrock carb, intake and air filter. For about the past year or so it's been leaking about 4 quarts between changes out of the breather cap. My mechanic checked all my engine seals and said they were good. His assesment was that maybe the engine is getting "tired" and he suggested that I put the original air filter back on, but I don't want to because an original has crappy air flow and just plain doesn't look as good. I also don't really believe that it's getting tired because it has 77,000 miles and has been taken care of pretty well aside from the occasional 110mph down a dirt road and crazy off roading down by the river :) So I posted on some chevy boards about this and they thought that maybe it was a plugged pcv valve. I haven't gotten around to checking this yet, but maybe tommorrow I will because I'm gonna be changing spark plugs and wires pretty soon because they are getting all fouled up from oil. I'm not a mechanic and don't know very much about engines so this will be interesting to check the pcv valve. I'd just thought I'd share this in case anybody else had any idea as to what the problem might be. Now the second part of my post deals with the full time 4X4 system that my truck has. I have a question because something I noticed contradicts what somebody on this board told me. They said that the full time system is not actually "locked" when I put the T case in 4WD. He said that it puts 50% to the front and 50% to the rear, but doesn't actually lock. But, strangely enough, when I'm on dry pavement and I turn a corner with it in high lock the wheels will chirp as though they are locked in. So what's the truth here? I checked the glove box for that G80 code and that other code for "gov-lock" and my truck doesn't have that.

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With full-time 4 wheel drive either high lock or low lock ties the front and rear drive shafts together. Since the front wheels and rear wheels track in a slightly different turning radius, the chirp comes from when a tire has to slip to even things up.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I can't help you much as far as your transfer case question, I'm not much of an NP203 guru, but there's quite a few here that would know. As for your oil problem, I've got 20 to 1 that it's your PCV valve, either the valve itself, or it's not drawing enough vacuum where it's connected. The air cleaner has nothing to do with it, so try replacing your PCV valve and see if that helps.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would have to agree with the PCV needing replaced. Your aircleaner should have nothing to do with it. When the intake and carb were swapped did you put on some cheap unbaffeled valve covers. A friend of mine did that once and from day one he was leaking oil out of the breather.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

5. Ancient_4X4

No, the valve covers are the originals everything is original except the carb, intake and air cleaner. I guess maybe I never made this clear, but the reason I mentioned the air cleaner is because when the new one was put on there, there was no longer a heat vacuum tube or whatever it was that came up from the valve cover opening that told the carb when the engine was warm and when to open/close, because this newer carb has electronic choke. So a breather cap was put there in place of it since there was nothing from the air filter that needed to be plugged in there.

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The tube running from the valve cover to the air cleaner is only a breather - just an environmentally friendly version.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

7. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

pull the pcv valve out and shake it. if it rattles it should be good if not its probably plugged up with grud. either clean it out or buy a new one their cheap. the t-case you have 4hi and 4hi LOCK if it is in 4hi LOCk it has the front and rear locked in 4 wheel drive but 4hi is for regular street use and highway driving a part-time kit is simple and fairlly cheap. it just uses the rear driveshaft but you need front locking hubs. hope this helped.

whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon? (ford) [​IMG]

8. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's a matter of personal preference, but I like leaving my truck full time. In 225,000 miles of moderate abuse the only repairs I've had are replacing U Joints in the front drive shaft twice and front axles once. Besides my wife can drive it without worrying about unlocked hubs. In fact, there is enough pull from the front with it unlocked that she doesn't even have to lock it in for snow.

9. Ancient_4X4

Well I just got done working on it. I changed the plugs, but not the wires, the pcv valve, and took off the bugshield. That bugshield really got hammered in golfball sized hailstorm we had a few weeks ago! My dad had an extra pcv valve he said he bought awhile ago so he gave it too me. When he took out the old one he shook it and it rattled so he thought it was still good, but I put the new one in anyways. I looked at the old one. There didn't appear to be any buildup other than a little grime inside of it. The tube didn't appear to be blocked in any way either. Maybe my mechanic checked that out before he gave me his prognosis of the engine being "tired". I don't know guys, but I'm gonna see if maybe I can borrow the digital camera from work tommorrow and maybe I can snap you guys a couple pics of the oil all over the breather cap side of the engine. Maybe replacing the pcv valve will fix it only time will tell I guess.

10. Ancient_4X4

Ya, I would never convert my truck to part time. In my opinion that just wouldn't be right! hehe Although I will admit that snow is the full time system's weakest area. If you drive crazy or floor it it's real easy to get out of control without it locked in. But I still love it. It's so neat when your driving on sand or in the rain not having your rear wheels spinning all the time. I remember one time last summer I was sitting at a stop sign and it was starting to sprinkle a little and this loud jacked up mid eighties chevy pulls up beside me. He had a buddy of his with him and obviously he wanted to race me and show off. So when the light turned green I let him have it! His rear wheels were spinning and I was gone. So I let him catch up to me and burned him again! Damn that was funny.

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If changing it hasn't helped, try running it off of a different port. The PCV port should draw a really strong vacuum, enough to draw any oil vapor from the crankcase.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I like full-time 4x4 alot more than I thought I would. My blazer does better in the rain than anything else I have driven.

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <font color=white>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</font color=white>