Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions Of Morality

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

In needing to kill something out of mercy, if you had a vauge want to kill, what would the moral implacations of that be? In your opinion of course.

I don't want any idiotic answers either. Frankly, I'm sick of them.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

need more info to formulate a good response... is this a real world situation or just a hypo? either way, more info would help...

j

3. Resurrection_Joe

Well, it happened to me recently, but if I let too many details go before discussion it would skew the purity of the discussion

4. jekbrown

ok, define/clarify "vague want to kill" then... there is lots to say about "mercy" killing, but the crux of what you're talking about hinges on the 2nd part...

j

5. Resurrection_Joe

My first instinct, after assesing the situation, was that it needed to die, even before that I instinctively went for the gun

What I killed had very little chance to function and even less to survive it's injuries

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you feel the need, just do it as long as it's not a person.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Feel the need to kill something?

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sometimes death is better than life, if the soul is in misery.

It was that way with my grandfather, before he asked us to pulled the plug.

Sometimes you have to ditch.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I guess it depends on how objective you can be while feeling this vague need to kill something. If the vague need colors your judgement then you may be killing this 'something' more because of your need rather than it's need. Make sense?

Of course if there was no question this 'something' needed to be put down then your own vague need is superfluous to the discussion IMO. It had to be done regardless of your vague need...

Rene

10. jekbrown

yeah, what tR said... so long as your admitted blood-lust wasn't clouding your judgement to the point where you were feeding your desire for killing instead of 'helping' the beast to a merciful end, then go for it.

j

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

What if it isent just a mercy killing, what if your killing something because you know it is evil?

12. Resurrection_Joe

Ok, I was really questioning whether that makes me less pure of spirit

Anyway

Deer jumped a 5 foot stock panel and snapped it's left rear leg. Leg was stripped of flesh down to the bone on the lower section. Was stuck and hanging for a while before I noticed it. Left rear knee joint was twisted backwards.

I felt really bad. I was thinking of trying to keep it as a pet, but that's fairly inhumane also. So, 12 guage slug and a 9mm right after to the head. It was kicking up a frenzy.

13. Resurrection_Joe

That is mercy on the world

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

good point

I have thought about this allot, and I'm pretty shure i could never kill just to kill, but were it to be a child molester, rapist, or some other hainous criminal i would pull the trigger and still sleep well that night

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Sometimes necessity and desire coincide. The fact that you are questioning your motives indicates to me that your moral code is alive and functioning properly. I am assuming that you dispatched the critter with one shot, rather than using it for target practice.

16. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

RJ... In your situation, I would have been on the horn to the vet in town... a deer that injures itself by breaking a couple legs on a fence can be saved with proper medical treatment, and the city pays for it anyway.

In this particular case, I don't know where you live, I don't know how well you know your vets or local cops. If you were in the middle of B.F.E, then mercy rules (natural human instinct) should apply, and you did nothing wrong. In fact, your moral fiber would have been strengthenned by this whole incident.

I struck a deer this past fall. I knew as soon as I hit it that I didn't kill it, but that it was injured beyond ability to live. I turned the car around, drove to the spot where I hit the deer and walked into the corn field it was headed to. Luckily, the corn fields had recently been cut, and it was not difficult to find. Because I don't have a permit, and because we are in city limits, I didn't have any guns with me at the time... I also had no knives of any sort, which pissed me off because I always carry a knife. I walk up to the deer only to find that all four of its legs are broken in some place. Both front legs were broken at the elbows, and one back leg was just shattered since it took the brunt of my car.

I had my wife call 911 while I stayed near the deer, as it was attempting to get further into the field. The sight of a deer trying to drag itself along the ground after seeing how majestic they look while running actually brought me to tears. An officer arrived, asked if I wanted the deer, and I said yes. He proceeded to shoot it in the brain cover twice, and the stubborn sh!t was still alive (always shoot for a main vein or artery people... ) so I asked the cop if he had a knife... and he hands me a 2" folding pocket knife that he confiscated from some kids earlier in the night... I laughed out loud at the futility of the situation. I slit the poor thing's throat, watched it die, and when it was finally at peace, I took it home, gutted it, and hung it in a tree for the night. Took it to the butcher in the morning, and that's the end of that.

I gained an understanding of deer that night. That animal would have died eventually that night, but I didn't want it to suffer any more than it already had. Yeah, the deer was dumb for jumping into the hood of my car... I was only going 35, which is why the thing didn't die on impact. I now have much more respect for a deer who gets shot by me, and runs 150 yards before it expires... That thing wants to live... it feels pain (I knew that part already) and all it wants is for the pain to stop.

RJ, you did the right thing, and don't let anyone tell you you didn't.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

"Pure" is an extreme. There's pure and impure, on or off, "Less Pure"="Not Pure".

This really comes down to you and whether you've really defined "Pure of Spirit", and if so, you can really figure this out yourself. If you think you're "pure of spirit", will you really consider yourself now impure of spirit for having a desire to kill? If you've ever wished ill will or had a moment of aggression toward another person, are you still "pure"? Is a private desire to kill worse than actually acting on a desire to punch something, tell someone off, or demean another person?

Anyone conscious of the concept of an eternal spirit will have a different opinion of what constitutes "Pure of Spirit" and whether "purity" in it exists or can exist. Personally, I think it's a silly idea.
    My sister on law considers herself "justified" in anything she's ever done wrong, so it is possible to be impure and consider yourself pure. One just has to modify the concept of purity.

Maybe you mean "Less well intentioned"?

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, regarding the situation at hand, I think you did the right thing. :thumb:

19. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You did the right thing, even tho it was difficult.

If you had tried to save it, it could have ended up on a feeding tube for the remainder of its miserable days allowing the media to decide on the morality....

20. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

That's funny and not funny all at the same time..