Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by protechk5, Mar 19, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Where to a put the ground on antenna? Im using a mirror mount bolted on the inside of my truck bed with a spring then a 4foot firestick. I did a test, and I know the mount it's self is grounded. So do I still need to put a ground on the antenna part too?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If your on the metal already , and your bed is grounded to the frame , actually everything grounded to the frame and frame to battery , your probably good if the SWR's check out OK .

The most important thing is for some metal to be UNDER the antenna , so it has a ground plane .

3. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

i thought it was real important to ground the antennas, but i had a buddy trying to convince me it didnt matter...what do you say pauly? i thought that the radio may not work properly and may actually damage the radio if it were not grounded. set me straight here...

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

If you only key the mike while doing an swr calibration, without talking into the mike, you'll be allright. If you can't dial in the swr, then you'll know you might have a bad ground. The antenna itself does not want to be grounded, only the shield wire from your coax.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

6. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

so much good info. thanks pauly. havent powered up my new CB yet, need to get me one of those SWR meters first. is it alright to leave the SWR meter hooked up all the time?