Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on flipping overloads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Jun 6, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im looking to lift the blazer about 2.5-3" and improve articulation. I was looking for a 2.5 flip but have a 4" ORD flip coming and would really like to run the 2.5" BDS front springs with maybe extended shackles (or zero rates ??) to bring it up to about 3".
    I was thinking of flipping the rear overloads in hopes it would relieve some of the curvature on the stock spring pack but someone told me it will actually Raise the rear cuz the spring will arch over the lower plate ?? Is this right?

Also, what happens to tow capability/capacity if the overload is flipped. I plan on towing a tent trailer or motorcycle trailer but not some 25' thing.

What happens if I were to just remove the overload completly?

Thanks

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The stock overload is flat or real close to it, so flipping it isnt going to lower it really. If you just remove it, dont plan on towing anything. Your truck will sag too bad and make it a fun ride.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i flipped mine and didnt notice any difference, it just lets the spring flex more. you will notice that the spring is pointing down on both sides but its pretty flat where its bolted into the pack, let me look for a pic
    [​IMG]

this is on Steves truck

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The stock overload is flat or real close to it

[/ QUOTE ]
    Humm..I looked at mine and it appears to have a pretty good arch to it. Similar to Steves Pic. I have the Tow Package and dont know if they put a heavier overload in it or not.
    Guess another question is what happens if the spring arches in the negative direction. Will it damage them /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Guess another question is what happens if the spring arches in the negative direction. Will it damage them

[/ QUOTE ]

It can. Check out my post on Leaf Spring Tech that I made a few days ago.