Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on Ford springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Judd, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I just picked up some rear springs off a 98 F-150 4X4. The springs are 2.5 inches wide and appear 59 inches long. They have three leaves and one overload {4 total}. The leaf spring bolt is around 32 inches from the rear eye and around 27 inches from the front eye. Have not measured the bushing diameters yet.

Why does everyone use the 86-96 F-150 springs? Are there any reasons other than length why the 59s up are not used? If 57s are good, why not 59 inches?

I'm planning on a shackel inversion modding the factory hangers and moveing the hangers back to fit the springs. Anyone see any problems useing the different Ford springs?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

with 3 leafs and an add a leaf, I would pick up a spare set. they are gonna be super soft. how well do they flex now? do the hulk test and grab each eye and pull.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Newer Chevy trucks have springs 63" long. If length is all you care about, get those!

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I started working w/ 57's about the time these came out... But after seeing them (97's and newer) I became curious and actually looked into using them. The dimensions look appealling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

Biggest problem would be that these springs are really flat (no arch).... The 57's have a pretty good arch even when under an empty F-150, and then they flatten out when you put Blazer weight on them... I would suspect that you'd be fighting to keep any arch in the 59's when under a Blazer...... just my guess tho...

Marv

5. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies fellers. The reason I ended up with these was because, well,,they were free. My local yard wants 100 bucks for the 86-96 springs. I really would like to use these if possible. What do you think, worth fiddling with?

Could always add a couple of my Blazer's springs to stiffen it up. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you think, worth fiddling with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure...! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd plan on a finished pack that has at least 6 or 7 leaves. Your donors need to start with more arch than the springs you're adding to. Then I'd add one just under the main leaf, and prolly take turns mixing Ford and donor leafs. Cut the ends to size and then fabricate a spring clamp to keep the leaves from fanning out.

Not sure how much lift you'll get, tho... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Marv

7. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Once again thanks for your help. I think I'll give spring building a shot.

BTW, anyone know where I can get the sticky back teflon strips that go between the leaf springs? I found some places that sell it on the net but they either sell wholesale or their min. order is too large {way more than I need and way too costly}.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Once again thanks for your help. I think I'll give spring building a shot.

BTW, anyone know where I can get the sticky back teflon strips that go between the leaf springs? I found some places that sell it on the net but they either sell wholesale or their min. order is too large {way more than I need and way too costly}.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just posted in another thread about this... McMaster-Carr sells UHMW sheets but it's not sticky backed. They sell lots of industrial strength double sided tapes that you could probably use to make the strips stick to the springs if you want. I'm probably just going to leave them loose.

9. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Once again thanks for the reply and the link in the other post.