Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on mounting a slid in camper

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Sandman, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I just traded my $50 van for a decent slid in camper for my tow rig. What are the different methods for securing it down? This is for a '92 Chevy longbed dually and I didnt want to put mounts on the outside sheetmetal.

Can I just drill through the bed and bolt it down or something along those lines?

I am happy about this deal as I can throw the tent in the garbage and go to Moab in better style now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have some camper tie downs that attach to the inner lip of a bed rail and another set that drop in the stake pocket and bolt runs thru the inner sheetmetal into the pocket... I can send you pics if you want to buy either set for $25 as I dont need both.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have some camper tie downs that attach to the inner lip of a bed rail and another set that drop in the stake pocket and bolt runs thru the inner sheetmetal into the pocket... I can send you pics if you want to buy either set for $25 as I dont need both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post pics of how the one that goes through the stake holes work?
    I am interested in learning that, I will be getting a slide in camper soon and I dont't like how the one that hangs out from the bed rail works, too flimsy in my opinion.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Sandman

Turns out this one came with everything that I need. Thanks anyway for the offer. It has the bar that bolts in the front of the bed with the hold downs that stick out between the cab and the bed. That should be fine for me.

It was difficult to get home though. The front jacks were about 2" too narrow to fit around the dually fenders. We had to take them off and use a backhoe to slide it on. I'll have to make some larger brackets to make it all work out right.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The ones that clamp to the bed rails would be very flimsy if you were to turn the truck upside down and expect it to hold the camper in the bed of the truck but if you look at the force they are intended to take (front to back) they actually perform very well. I used a the set I have on a fairly large camper without any trouble but the bedsides on the '78 Dodge were probably stronger than most being made today too.

The stake pocket hold downs I think are the worst design because you would have to twist the insert in the stake pocket until it contacts something to stop the rotation. I have also seen the hidden nuts that are tack welded inside the tube come loose and make them near impossible to remove, but a torch and grinder finally did the trick...

Both styles are shown on this page

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The ones that clamp to the bed rails would be very flimsy if you were to turn the truck upside down and expect it to hold the camper in the bed of the truck but if you look at the force they are intended to take (front to back) they actually perform very well. I used a the set I have on a fairly large camper without any trouble but the bedsides on the '78 Dodge were probably stronger than most being made today too.

The stake pocket hold downs I think are the worst design because you would have to twist the insert in the stake pocket until it contacts something to stop the rotation. I have also seen the hidden nuts that are tack welded inside the tube come loose and make them near impossible to remove, but a torch and grinder finally did the trick...

Both styles are shown on this page

[/ QUOTE ]

OH OK I thought they go through the bed to the frame.
    This way they are actually weaker than the one between the bed and cab.
    I think I will design one that is stronger. I might be taking mine off road for camping and I have seen them rip out. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Pics?

8. Sandman

I'll take some pics when I load it back up this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You didnt go to EJS this year?

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yes, went down Sunday night and came back Wednesday night. Unfortunately, I was real sick Tuesday and didn't run (Pritchett will have to wait another year). Had a good time.

10. Sandman

Are you going to BB04? I plan on going there plus a few days early.

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am planning to. I am not sure how much time I will be able to spend down there. Definetly Friday through Monday. I just took off 2 weeks for the wedding/honeymoon and EJS, taking another week after Memorial Day for Las Cruces/Farmington (which BTW, you interested?), and a week off in September for a trip to Canada (not wheeling), so I have to watch how much time I can take off for the rest of the year.

12. Sandman

I'd love to go to Farmington. Maybe next year.

Did you run 21 road last year? I'd like to do it after BB04 this year.