Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on shipping a K5???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here's the deal I moved to Oklahoma this year but I left My Blazer at My Folks place in California. It's about 250 miles north of San Francisco and My house is about 70 miles east of Oklahoma City.
    So what would be the best way to ship it and whom would you recommend? Any ideals on cost? I don't have a truck big enough to tow it and even if I did time and money would kill me. I figure paying for a one way trip would be cheaper. Selling it is not an option, I have had it for 16 year and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I my be moving to Kentucky and to ship a K5 from so cal to Ky was $1100 give or take. may be more now that gas is going up.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used Insight Cargo Service http://www.insightcargo.com/ to move my 1987 Blazer out of North Dakota in November of 2005 to Toledo OH. I paid them (ICS) a $150.00 fee up front and then when the driver brought the truck I had to pay him $305.00 cash. (for math challenged thats $455.00 )

Now I did the searches and quotes and all that jazz. I checked references and they weren't a member of the BBB but I called the office in their town and got a great reference now for BBB to do that I felt good. Had to deal with delays due to the storms. I felt sorry for the poor driver being out there and the roads being closed.

Would I use them again heck yes! Give them a call and if you want email me and I will give you my name as a reference that hooked you up.

Here my truck was loaded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see the truck was not a POS.

4. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

250 north of San Fran, would put your truck really close to me. so where is it?:D :haha: On another note.... I had no idea shipping a vehicle that far was that cheap, i expected it to be alot more.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

corey
    when i shipped mine the cheapest i could get was 550, but it would cost more in gas to drive it, so it worked out

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It's to the west of You over in Humboldt county. Yeah man these prices sound way cheap, kinda got me all stoked about the deal.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Mine has to come on a trailer no matter what since it's not quite done. It got put on the back burner about 2 years ago when my wife was pregnant then came the move, but you know that story.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I shipped a 1999 2dr Tahoe from Baton Rouge to Mass. for $750. Sold it to a guy up there. Look on eBay - there are a couple of shipping companies advertised that will give you an online quote.

9. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i shipped a 78 k10 from wisconsin to texas. i gave them a weeks notice and got here in about two weeks for $990

10. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CA-S [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KY[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chevy[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]K5 Blazer[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium SUV[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Door to Door Transport [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,134.00[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ford[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ranger[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Small pickup[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Door to Door Transport [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$1,074.00[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Multi-Car Discount[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]($50.00)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Total:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$2,158.00[/FONT]

http://www.insightcargo.com/
    Thats what I got from that web site

11. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

FYI- I hope it runs so they can at least drive it onto the trailer. They typically don't want to mess with it otherwise.

I shipped my 442 from Houston to New York and it was a little over $800. That was in March.

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

KY to FL

I just shipped my '87 K5 from Louisville KY to the Panama City FL area - approx. 620 miles - for $625. I used AutoGo Auto Transport www.autogotransport.com/ .

I shopped around and made a lot of inquires. They weren't the chapest nor the most expensive. I did a lot of research and chose these guys since they took a credit card over the phone and I didn't need to fool around with deposits, delivery cash or cashiers checks, etc. Yes - it WILL cost more if the truck isn't running. PM me if you have specific questions.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah it runs. It's just stripped of the interior and the bumpers and lights are all off of it right now. It's also has a non-op on it right now. Oh trust me it will drive up and off of any trailer.
    Also will a K5 with 4" lift and 35's fit on one of those transporters, or would it need some cookie cutter tires on it for roof clearance. Also do they have a weight limit? I have some parts that I would like to have in the back like trannys and t-case's.

14. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I drive a car carrier for a living in SoCal. Wieght is not to much of an issue we haul Hummer2, and crew cab 1ton 4x4 diesels all the time. You may have to pay for 2 spots on the truck if it really tall.
    If you could get it down to an auto action in the bay area it may be cheaper to ship.
    You could call a chevy (new car)dealer near you and see who they use to get their cars to auction.

I think these guys are nation wide
    http://www.unitedroad.com/
    Steve

15. Metrodps

I used ICS because they took a credit card and I didn't want to pay all upfront so if they jacked me around I wasn't out all the money. As most carriers your deposit/payment is NON REFUNDABLE! Yes it is cheaper if you can get it to a terminal and from what I researched about anything in the inside like boxes or parts is frowned on and they are not liable for any damages or loss to the inner contents like that.

Yes if you can get smaller rubber under it do it. That gives you better options. I had a 1995 Astro van shipped from Tampa, FL to Toledo, OH and it cost $800.00 because it was on a flat bed. I wasn't thinking and said I didn't want anything over it.....

Terminal to terminal is cheaper but not always easiest. You have to get it to their terminal and then go get it when it comes to the other terminal. I talked to ICS on the phone and got a lower price than the web so call around.

16. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

17. Metrodps

18. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Don't know if this helps you much, but in my area is a guy who drives to texas and cali from ohio on a monthly to bi-monthly basis, he takes motors and tranny's there and brings back truck beds and cabs. My buddy bought a scout off of ebay from tx, the guy charged him $500 (flat, no taxes was my guess) to bring it back to ohio. You may look in your area and see if there is a similar set up. My only concern was insurance, i didn't know if he would cover the cost of a destroyed truck!:doah:

19. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried the auto train?

20. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Cory - everything I read suggested that personal items in the vehicle were not allowed or highly discouraged, and definitely not the haulers responsibility. I actually left some camping equipment in the back and nothing was said. One thing - DO NOT except delivery at night or in the rain. Take pictures of it right before it's loaded and inspect the hell out of it after delivery. Do not sign the bill of lading until you inspect it. Hope this helps.