Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions on shocks again????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5HIGH, Dec 15, 2004.

1. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I Posted A Question On Shocks For My 88 K5 Yesterday Didnt Get Much Response. Can Anyone Help Me? Too Make It Simple I Was Wondering How Many In Of Travel Should You Have On Your Shocks Compressed And Extended? Refer To My Previous Post For Measurements On Yesterdays Post. Any Help Would Be Awesome Thanks Again!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Didn't see your other post, but to get the best shocks for your app., you'll need to take measurements. No one will be able to tell what is best without compressed and extended measurements. If it is stock, any stock type shock should work... I'll go look for your other post now.

3. Emmettology 101

Ok, found your other post. Here's what ya need to do.... Have access to a forklift or cherry picker? The measurement you included before were of the shocks you bought. What you need is measurement of your suspension. You neeed to compress your suspension(tire up into the wheel well) as much as possible. Then measure between your shock mounts. This will give you your compressed measurement. For the extended measurement, you need to get that same wheel to extend away from the wheel well as much as possible.(drooped as far as it will go).. Then measure between the mounts. This will give you your extended measurement. Once you have these measurements, you can figure out what the best shock would be.

What lift were you running again? What size/brand srpings in the front and how is the rear lifted? If you are not worried about flex and just want a shock that will dampen your ride, then any shock for a 4 or 6 inch lift should be ok.

4. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

THE LIFT IS A 4IN I BELIEVE, JUST BOUGHT THE TRUCK A MONTH AGO, ITS LIFTED WITH SPRINGS NO BLOCKS. THE SHOCKS THAT ARE ON IT NOW LOOK PRETTY STRETCHED. I MEASURED WHILE THE TRUCK WAS SITTING 23.5 IN IN BACK 20 IN FRONT. IF I MEASURE WHILE LETTING THE SUSPENSION HANG SHOULD I DISCONNECT THE SHOCKS? HOW SHOULD I COMPRESS THE TRUCK AND PUT THE WHEELS INTO THE WELL? CAN I GET AROUND THIS? THANKS

5. Emmettology 101

For the compressed and extended measurements, yes you would need to remove your current shocks. Getting measurements the way I described would be your best bet for getting a shock that works best with you suspension travel. However you could get away with a normal shock for a 4 inch lift. Are there any part numbers on your springs or the shocks that are on the truck now?

6. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

NOT SURE ON THE PART #s but ILL GIVE THAT A TRY. WHAT HAPPENS WITH A NORMAL SHOCK? NOT AS MUCH TRAVEL? THE GUYS AT THE OFFROAD SHOP SAID LONGER SHOCKS WOULD LET THE SUSPENSION BOTTOM OUT. ANYWAYS ILL GET THE MEASUREMENTS LIKE U SAID. THANKS FOR THE HELP

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status