Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on the Holley Truck Avenger?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by flatline, Mar 11, 2005.

1. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about purchasing a Holley 650cfm Truck Avenger carb for my truck, has anyone here used this carb before? I do mostly street driving and I am sick of the Qjet carb all together!:mad:

any advise would be appreciated! see sig for info on truck

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

search..........lots of posts on this.:D

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I believe it comes in 470, 670, and 770. I have a 670, and it's the best I've ever seen on an angle. It's a lot better than my q-jets ever were offroad. I have had a little trouble getting tuned right for the streets though. I think the q-jets may have been easier in that area.

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

it does what is is ment to do...and tuning it can be a hassle,

worth it, but then again I have seem q-jets do some nutty stuff!

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got it but havent angled the truck yet off road... by bud with a big truck is broke.... so if I get stuck the jeeps are not gonna pull me out...

I like the carb but it is a pain... was adjusted and now the weather is changing and the choke isnt working.. so gonna need to be tuned frequently... thank goodness it isnt a dd!!!!

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i was questioning the choke also. mine doesnt kick down on its own. is it supposed to or am i sjust supposed to hit the pedal for it to come to idle.

i love mine so far. i might bring it to shop to see if its tuned right. my float levels are good, so who knows.

i know i had to fab a bracket to make the throttle and kick down cablefit right.

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dunno...

seems that my choke was working when I set it.. there was snow so it was cold and the choke worked... now it is warmer... I hit the gas so the choke will close but doesnt....

8. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I'm running a 670 and love it. I'm still fining tuning the carb but I'm sure it will end up where it needs to be.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Have you consittered a manual choke ?? Alot of people don't like them, but I do. Once you get used too them, it becomes 2nd nature.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I hear ya. If I were to buy mine again, I think I'd go that route. That seems to be my only problem, I can't find that one setting that works with all the temps.

11. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

:confused: Seems like a lot of people are having issues tuning this carb as well as the Qjet ? I was wanting to get the manual choke myself as I can't rely on electronic chokes here in Ohio as the weather changes daily and I felt the manual choke could ease the trouble with a stuck choke on cold winter days.

Like I stated before this will be a daily driver and I will hardly ever see offroad mud bogs and water crossings, I do have a lot of steep hills I traverse daily and it seems my current Qjet cuts out when going up those hills.

Do you recommend any other carbs for a daily driver 305v8 with little to no modification to motor running on 87 - 89 octane?

I just don't want to spend the $289 for a carb that is like my Qjet ( hard to tune, and doesn't keep adjustment )

Thanks everyone for your input on this situation.

12. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

edelbrock makes a carb for offroad. i personally have had better luck tuning the edelbrocks than holleys. on my 67 gmc i am running a 750 cfm edelbrock, i bought the metering rod and jet kit and tuned it with that. i also installed the spring loaded needle and seat kit. it works nice! i will be installing a 670 truck avenger that i have for the new project. hopefully i have more luck this time! i think it's more about getting educated with the carb you are working on.:D

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I would have nothing but praise for my avenger had it been a manual choke.

14. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I only bought manual choke holleys (for my chevelles) but this is my first electric choke and I like it (so far). The only thing I may need to change is the power valve.