Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions on the Uniden Grant

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Gandolf, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I am planning on buying a Uniden Grant and I have some questions. I have learned from previous posts that the Cobra 148 GTL is the same radio except the newer ones are made by Kraco, making the older ones more desireable. Is this also true for the Uniden Grant? Should I seek out an older one? If so, what should I look for. Another question...There is a Uniden Grant XL and a Uniden Grant LT. What is the difference and which one is better?
    Once I get one, I plan to have it tuned and peaked, and then will connect it to a rear bumper mounted Harris 5000 Antenna with 18 feet of coax. I'll then take it to the local CB shop to get it checked for whatever they check it for. Does this sound like a good system and plan? Critique welcome.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

2. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

I have a uniden grant xl and love it. I had it peaked and tuned andget 25 watts am,and 100 watts ssb. If you know some one you could even have the clarfier unlocked allowing an additional 500 channels. Uniden=USA Cobra-craco-radio junk=CHINA. The only difference in the grants is that one has ssb or sideband and the other one has NOAA or weather. I have the grant hooked to a wilson 1000 and I can talk anywhere,and I mean any where. GOTTA LOVE WILSON'S!!!!!!!!!

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I'll get the Uniden Grant XL. WX would be nice, but ssb is more important to have. Besides, I have a Uniden BC2500XLT Scanner and can get WX on that. I never heard of a clarfier, but if I unlock it for 500 more channels, what channels or freqs would I get?

4. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

A clarfier is what you use to fine tune a person using sideband. They usually unlock them so you can slide a full channel in either direction. I have mine set up so that I can go from 26.000MHz to 28.000MHz. That is what you are allowed to talk on plus all of those with sideband with the clarifier in a full channel slide. Although I have a good tech. I also got extra heavy duty finals installed for an extra 100.00. That just gives you more power handling capabilities,like up to 3500 watts. I only run a 100 watt lightbulb on mine though. Any more questions just post 'em. I will try to be as much help as possiable.

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I have mine set up so that I can go from 26.000MHz to 28.000MHz. That is what you are allowed to talk on
    plus all of those with sideband ....

Who allows you to talk above channel 40 ?
    Who allows you to talk on 27.555Mhz ?
    Even the Ham bands don't cover this area !

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What are finals?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I went to the Uniden website and found that the current Grant model offered is the LT. The XL isn't listed so it looks like the LT replaced the XL. The new LT does have SSB and has a new feature - backlit control knobs.

http://www.uniden.com/cbhs_.html

I hope REDNECK returns and answers the additional questions.

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Uniden manufactures there are radios and they are outstanding. The LT has a different control layout, with a front mounted mic, and backlight knobs. If you get the radio worked on, get it aligned, not turned up. It take 10 times the power to raise your signal one S units. Like car audio, double the amps doesn't equal double the volume. The increased wattage can possibly damage your unit.