Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions on transmissions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

one is what is this box for [​IMG] I have been told it is for my transmission. What would be causing my 400 to kinda stall when shifting from 1st to 2nd with pedal mashed?

and then did a search but cant find anything on it. there was talk about running ford transmission fluid in the 400 for better shift quality I believe, or what about the B & M fluid Would like more info please. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

That looks like a Jacobs Ignition box from the picture, It has nothing to do with your transmission. As for running ford trans fluid, Type F it does have less friction modifiers but if your trans is slipping this will be a temp. cure if it helps at all. How is your fluid, when was the last time it was changed along with the filter? Has the trans ever been rebuilt? How are the fluid pressures in the trans, If you don't have the tools to do this find a buddy or a shop who does and look into the condition of your trans? If it is slipping it may be time for a rebuild. one of the bands or clutches is not holding. good news is a turbo 400 is cheap to rebuild.

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

sry not my coil but the black box next to it a module of some kind

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

That is one I do not have a clue about. Do the wires run to the trans? Part of the electric kick down maybe? I know turbo 400's have an electric kickdown not a vacuum controlled one, follow the wires from the kickdown switch and see if they go to that relay then down to the trans. all the trans I ever had have been turbo 350's or four speeds so I won't be much help on this one. I am sure someone will have an answer to what it is but trace the wires anyway.

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

esc box (electronic spark control), the plug has 4 wires coming out of it

Pretty sure anyway...

Rob

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Actually, now that I look it it a little closer, it looks bigger than my esc....Hmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I guess trace the wires

Rob