Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUESTIONS. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Charisma, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Charisma

Charisma Registered Member

Hello, I'm trying to fix up my 1990 Blazer (lift kit and larger tires), but my friend told me that to put the 44's i want on it I have to buy 1 ton axels. Well, I dont have the money for new axels and all that, so I was wondering: what is the highest lift and largest tires I can put on my 1990 Blazer without changing my axels? Thanks.
    Ps- the axels i have on it now are 1/2 tons

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

If you want 44's you will want stronger axles... if you drove like a grandmother... you'd be ok... maybe...

What axles do you have 10 bolt? 12 bolt/d44...
    I donno what the 1990 had???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

3. Charisma

There 8 bolt.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The bolt count you are interested in is the number of bolts on the differential cover. There should be either 10 or 12 on the back cover. To identify your axle, take a look at this url.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml</A>
    Now, I suspect the "8 bolts" you are talking about are on the wheels since there are no 8 bolt diff covers. That would indicate that you already have at least 3/4 ton axles (unless someone went to some senseless trouble). This is good since they are stronger and you can run larger tires. Let us know what the axles are when you identify them using the site I indicated.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Charisma

Okay, I went outside and looked, and it has 10 bolts in it. It most resembles a GM CORPORATE 10-BOLT.

6. BadDog

Is that on the front and back? If so, then you will have trouble running 44s without breaking something. You can beef up those axles but the cheapest and easiest option is to upgrade to 3/4 ton. That won't help the front much since it is essentially the same except for heavier outers, bigger brakes, and 8 lugs, but at least you can add a Corp 14 Full Float to the back without too much expense. A Dana 60 is ideal for the front but hard to find and expensive. If you decide to do a swap, make sure you get complete axles including spring plates and everything related to the axles. From a 3/4 ton it is essentially a "bolt in" as long as you get everything except the springs. If you order a lift, you also have to tell them what the axles are to get the right attaching hardware (usually u-bolts). Axles off a 1 ton will get you a heavier front axle (D60 which is the best for GM) but the rear axle will need to have the spring perches moved outboard a little to match the springs. Also, in 1-tons it is important to make sure the springs are off a "single rear wheel" since the dually axles are too much trouble and nothing works out right.

Bad Dog

7. BadDog

BTW, you need to fill out your profile.

Bad Dog

8. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

A 4 inch lift with 35's is the max I would go with the GM 10 bolt....I'm runnin 33's with a 2 inch lift....I get concerned when off road. Always in the back of my mind is this voice "go for it !! ....watch those axles...go for it !!.....watch those axles....Maybe one day I'll find out how strong the 10 bolts are, but not just yet.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Charisma,
    You've got the 10 bolt front and rear. I would not go with anything over 35" also with those axles. That is if your going to be four wheeling. Another thing you need to find out is the gear ratio in the axles. You've got the 700R4 transmision like me. Currently I have 3.42 gears and I will not run any tires bigger than 33" with the gear ratio I have. High gears and big tires = Dead 700R4. Just another thing to consider. Unless of course your planning on regearing the 10 bolts but if that is the case you could go ahead and do you axle upgrade.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

10. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

I have 10B under my 85' Jimmy with 38" swamper and 4:88 gear and alburn lockers front and rear and haven't had any problems. Of course if and when i do break them, I will put 14FF and a D60 under it.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Do you 'wheel hard?????

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."