Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questions with crossover steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skidpan, Jan 9, 2006.

1. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

so i was looking at my steering system on a stock 10 bolt front end. and i noticed that my passenger side knuckle is flat on top of it.. why couldnt I just tap this and put a crossover steering arm on, why machine? I was also wondering what the reason for switching to a 2wd box? couldnt we just clock the pitman arm to point towards the rear instead of the left tire? I heard you cant junt index the pitman arm, but why not, could you just grind or file sonething? then just connect the draglink to the passenger side flattop knuckle and follow the normal crossover set up? i know this may be a stupid idea, just wondering why it wont work...

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

You gotta search, but anyways heres your answers. first, when a knuckle gets "machined" all they are doing is tapping the top of the arm. second, no you cant use a stock steering arm, you have to use a special arm. third no you cant make a 4wd arm face backwards. this is because the arm cant be rotated because of the ways its held on the shaft. take a 4wd arm off and take a look at what i mean. you dont need a 2wd box, you can use just the sector shaft.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

There is another thread on this today. Look at the posts in the garage or do a seach.

4. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

i have searched i know how the normal crossover works, i was just wondering why it couldnt be done this way.. Thank you guys for your replys