Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stubs84, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Stubs84

Stubs84 Registered Member

Ok guys i need sum opions here ill try to explain as much as possible.

I just recently came into possesion of a 79 K5 blazer, im stoked, ive wanted one forever. now here the questions. Most of my use for the truck will be hunting and camping not anything extreme a few colorado trails ad kansas mud, and snow and ice during my ice fishin trips to minnestoa. Im putting on a 6" lift with 35's or 36's havent yet decided i will be trimming the fenders for flares and its an easy way to get rid of the little bit of rust thats there. Now do you guys think with that use i need to swap axles or just beef up the ones i have, i have looked and it seems parts and aftermarket parts (Lockers) are a little more difficult to find for the 12 bolt rear but im not sure i can justify the cost of an axle swap eithier. tell me what you think, oh its will also be a rescue rig, im only the voulenteer fire department here.

thank for Helpin and any responses.

-Stubs

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard! I'm from Wichita and had a '73 for a while.
    I had a 4" lift and 33s on it. It did really well. With 33s I ddin't have to worry about it being a dog because of the gear ratio (even with 3.73s).
    I did have to replace the 12 bolt. Didn't have the funds at the time to go 14b so just a salvage yard 12 bolt with new seals and bearings took care of me. Wasn't that expensive and got me going in a weekend.
    I would set it up for what you plan on using it for. If it looks like there are some issues at that point, then I would start the upgrades.
    In the meantime you can keep an eye out for a good deal on a 1 ton truck to get parts from.

So, my advise is to run it for now and keep an eye out for a screaming deal.
    congrats again.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, you have to post some pics!
    You know what gears you have now?
    What tranny and t-case do you have?

4. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I would do a swap Because if you Are running anything bigger than 35's with a locker there is a good possibilty that you will have problems. 14bff are cheap and easy to find. the front might require a little more diggin.

84 K5
    350/465/205 14bff 10b