Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Questions!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

OK, got a few questions for ya'll. First off I want to get rid of the little wuss tires I have now and get some larger ones. I want to pick up a set of 15x10" wheels and 33x12.5" tires. I'll have to lift the truck to fit them, right? What's the minimum lift I need for them, 2.5"? Who makes a good suspension lift in that range?

Also I bought a Cobra 25 NWST CB and a RoadPro dual 3' diversity antenna setup. I don't wanna run the antenna cables through the door crack, I wanna have a more smooth look. Is the stock side-view mirror mount hollow? I figure I can drill a hole next to the mirror arm in the mount and a hole behind the mount in the door and run the cabling through the mount then silicone the door skin hole and pop a grommet in the mirror mount hole for a nice low-profile look. How do you take the stock mirror mounts off? Thanks!

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey, you can fit 33's without lift but if you flex alot they will rub! Go with a 4" lift so that way When you go bigger you'll have alittle more room to work with! Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a> and check out their 4" shackle flip and 4" front tuff country springs. Very nice combo, I have it [​IMG] Take a look at the member rides so you can get an idea what the lift/tire combos look like!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can fit 33's with no lift. They will rub if you flex hard though. I have a 2.5" lift, and it would fit 33's easy. My lift is Dick Cepek (which I don't think is made anymore). Others can tell you first hand about there lifts, so I'll leave that and the CB thing to them. Later, and welcome aboard.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have an 2.5" Explorer Pro Comp on my blazer with a homemade shackle flip and 33's and I have never rubbed a tire. It's sposed to be a 2.5" lift but I think it's a little bigger. I have a friend with a 4" Rancho and 33's and I sit level with him. Another friend has a 4' lift and 35's and I'm only an inch lower than he is. But I like them (the springs) alot.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Go with the 4". You'll be surprised how quickly you will want a bigger lift. I had 33s and 4" of lift for a while and it worked great.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On the CB Issue, I don't believe there are any holes already existing you can run the cable (not cable..dummy..anyways, I meant whip) through to the mirror. Unless you ran a really long cable, its a bad spot anyways, you are obstructing the "line of site" for broadcast. Front fender as far forward is your best bet.

In my case, I ran the cable through the firewall near the fuse panel, through one of the existing holes, and ran it up along the inner fender. If you are dealing with '81-91 (please fill out your profile BTW) if you look on the drivers side fender, up near the front edge, near where the core support is bolted, there are two holes already there. You can modify the antenna bracket to fit those holes, countersink the antenna mount bolt holes, and bolt (nice access holes for your hands and a wrench in that vicinity) the mount in place, and still have the hood shut. Didn't have to cut or drill one hole in the truck.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by dyeager535 on 12/05/01 10:49 AM.</FONT></P>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run twin 4' antenna's mounted as you described. I have power windows so there is already a rubber boot and access hole to get the Coax into the door. The mirror mount is sorta hollow on the newer style mirrors (81 and up?) the problem is the mirror is actually kinda flimsy. My antenna's now permanently lean back a bit...

There is actually very little room for the antenna mount without having a clearance probelm when the mirror mount cover is re-attached...honestly I would never recomend mounting them there. I will one day move my antenna's to a better location. I think a 102" steel whip off the rear bumper would be better. On the mirrors they are in a prime location for getting whacked by branches and very often I have to unscrew the antenna from it's mount to prevent them from being ripped off by branches.

Click on 'tRusty pics' below for pictures of my truck. You should be able to see my antenna's reasonably well.

OK...I just checked my own pic's and the antenna's are very hard to see. I'll see if i can find some better pic's and post them a little later.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would go with 4" if your gonna flex her with the 33's. I had 33 on my 87 with 2.5 lift and they hit when I hit some trails. as far as the antenna's go. if you are using 2 antenna, you MUST phase them in. If you don't they will try and cancel each other out. the pattern changes when running 2 versus 1. I have 2 mounted on my truck and they sucked until we tuned them in. my side distance is good but my foward distance suffered. something technical about how the radio/antenna works. I can't really tell you all the technical bull. roughly when you have 1 antenna, you get a circle antenna zone. with 2 you get a figure 8 zone, but smaller radias than 1 antenna. you will need a swr meter to set them and a tuner box to fine tune them. I had a shop do mine. I thought it was my radio goin bad, but it was just antenna related.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

damn they look good mounted there trusty. do you have them on the spring loaded base? I knocked 2 of them off my work truck in my driveway(boss was so pleased) and the spring loaded base solved that. Peterbilt in Port Kells has good pricing.

on a side note do you have any spare rubber boots for the power windows? i am putting one on the passenger side.

you never mentioned how to pull the stainless cover off to work on the antenna mount

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At the botom of the stainless mirror cover there is a small torx scew...unscrew it and the cover lifts up and goes up the mirror arm. At this point the mirror arm could be unbolted from the mirror base and the cover removed completely.

I don't have them spring mounted...I prolly should though.[​IMG] Reception is pretty good.

I'll have to check my stash for door/PW boots. I think i might have a spare somewhere.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>