Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick 12 bolt question

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Sep 11, 2004.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

I did do a search but wasn't able to loacte much info on this......Are the 12 bolt c-clips holding up to 35"/36" tires? Is anyone running c-clip eliminators?

Thanks,

Andrew

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, not that I know of. In that order. Rob is punishing his c-clips with no problems, even after 2 broken shafts.

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Remember that the c-clips are only taking side-loads. And they only take side-loads during tension of the axle, not compression. So when the right side is down, the right side axle is in compression, and the end is pushing on the center pin in the diff. Its the high side, where the tire is being pulled away from the vehicle as the vehicle wants to move down the side slope that has the axle shaft in tension. We all know that the weight and force on the downhill side is significantly higher than the high side. Same reason you will lose a bead on the downhill side before the uphill side. About the only way to break the c-clip itself is loading the tire so hard it has to go sideways -- away from the vehicle.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    ....Are the 12 bolt c-clips holding up to 35"/36" tires?
    Thanks,

Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Carry a spare shaft though. Generally, the shaft will let go before the C end will. (Unless your running circle track /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Yes, and No in that order like Matt said. I still run the 12 bolt setup, and like Matt said, I punish the $hit out of mine. I have broken 2 shafts, one then the next weekend the other. They go in pairs. Once on side goes, the other is short lived. But, remember, I absolutely torture my axles, I only broke the rear 12 bolts after years and years or torture. The problem with 12 bolt breaks is when they do break, you have to fix it right then and there, otherwise they fall out of the axle tube. When I replaced mine, I replaced them with Cromo rears, so I don't have the problem any more.

I would never run anything bigger than a 37/38" tire with a 12 bolt, and I would be with a very soft right foot.

Rob

6. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. guy's, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Andrew