Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick 14 bolt question: Hub gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Oct 19, 2003.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

The shim/gasket thing that goes between the axle shaft flange and the hubs on the 14 bolt FF, are they required? When I tore my 14 bolt down it had it on one hub but not the other. Just need to make sure before I put this back together. Thanks!

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

we didnt put them back into chevy4wds 14bff and it hasnt made any difference that either of us can tell..allthough it does leak a little gear oil since we havent sealed the hubs yet..

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, unless you want a leak. If you decide not to use them then you will need silocone sealer in their place.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Use 'em, you will not have greasy wheels. Get some gasket paper and use a hammer and tap your self a new gasket. Thats the easiest & cheapest way to do it.

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I was going to just leave them out and use a coat of silicone gasket sealer to seal them up. The original gasket I pulled out of it was just a metal shim type thing, so I don't see how it would have sealed without gasket sealer either.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

either way, silicone or the metal gasket..both work..

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I didn't use a gasket on mine, just put some silicone on there. Works fine, no problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yep just silicone on mine also had no leaks

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't waste your time making some out of gasket material or whatever. And don't waste your time with messy silicone either. Just go to your nearest Car Quest and ask for part number #J17829 and get 2 of them. Both of these will be around $4.00 apiece. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

whoo hoo finally I get a part # for those, mine have about a gallon of rtv /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. thatK30guy

Another helpful tip: don't dab on some silicone again. Buy a can of Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket, which is a 9 oz. high-temp sealant. Spray this stuff on both sides of the metal gasket and slap them on. Torque to spec and sit back with no worries of leaks again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

So $8 instead of 10 cents worth of silicone? My truck will not be so lucky /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Messy silicone, sheesh, what next take your truck in to get the oil changed so you don't get your hands dirty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Yeah silicone it is. I figure I'll save the $8 and put it towards some quality gear oil instead. That was the last step in my 14 bolt rebuild. Disc brakes are on, detroit is in, and I'm set. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a nice set-up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    So $8 instead of 10 cents worth of silicone? My truck will not be so lucky /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Messy silicone, sheesh, what next take your truck in to get the oil changed so you don't get your hands dirty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to re-install parts that originally come from the factory back into whatever I tear apart. Since the metal gaskets were there for a reason when they were built, I'm gonna leave them there. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

As for silicone, which is the "poor man's fix" to using no gaskets, more power to ya! I don't mind anybody using them as everybody has their own preference. Just messier when the time comes you have to remove the shafts and clean up the bearing hub of the gunk. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif At least with the metal gaskets, they will just come off and you can respray them with the copper sealant again and call it done. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

FYI: I change my own oil, thank you very much. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

everytime I replace the axles on our 5 ton internationals at work I only use silicone, never ever had a leak or was it real messy to clean the next time around, we usually throw away the gaskets since they end up leaking after a few hundred miles. I'm sure its the same principal with the lil' trucks

17. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

How about the Fel-Pro part 55350, $1.99 at partsamerica.com (Checker, Kraguns, Shucks). I've used several of them and the quality seems fine -- plus you don't have to scrape the silicon off next time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't mind silicone, and I use a wire brush on the drill to remove the old silicone as long as I can do it withoug getting debris where I don't want it. Nothing wrong with doing it the right way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I would have to get a new truck and start over if I am gonna do that /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    FYI: I change my own oil, thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif