Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick 14FF approval on condition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I checked out the 14FF today and just want to make sure i'm buying OK. On the ring gear # (1 CM 3977334 10 41 6 74) turned it only one rev. and the drive shaft turned about 4.1 so i'm guessing 4:10. Counted the ring gear theeth and there was 41...sound right?? very little metal on the magnet, clean inside, no signs of wheel seal leaks, the cover wasn't siliconed and looked like it hadn't been accessed, I think 3 spiders and open. Sound OK? Wish it was 4:56. I'm going to add a D locker and go through it completly. Anything else I should look at? Thanks guys.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If you look at the numbers you have the 10 41. If you divide the 41 by 10 you get 4.10's [​IMG]. Thats the same thing my 14 has. Now the other numbers I have no clue about.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 3 spider carrier is a gov-lock...if you plan on a detroit you'll need a different carrier. The carrier that accepts the Detroit is a 4 spider carrier. 4.10's for sure though.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

how much??
    But, what you described, I think it has the Gov-lok!! [​IMG]
    You'll have to find an open carrier before you can put the detroit in.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I believe that those first numbers are part #`s , 4:10 ratio, and June 1974 is the year that it was built.Rotate the ring gear and count the pins,should be four. I dont think they made a Gov-lock in 74.
    RGF

Oh yeah, just want to add that if your planning on going to 4:56 you will have to change the carrier because 4:10 and 4:56 take a different series case unless you buy an aftermarket thick gearset which is alittle pricey. I just had to buy one for a D-60 RR 4:56 Thick gears and that was $270 plus come up with another posi carrier for 4:10& down.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RGF on 06/20/01 09:23 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you should trade that for an open 4:56....
    Or buying gears with a new carrier.

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

7. Storm Trooper

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you guys (been working) but THANKS. So RGF, if I rotate the ring gear and it has 4 pins than it has 4 spiders? and I can fit a Detroit or not?? Can I change it to a 4:56 and add a Detroit? or does this require the thicker gears or a different case???? With 38.5 being the smallest tires I think I'll run, 4:10 might not be enough. Just wanted that option to be open. I'd like to use the Dana 60 in the front. If D60 in a 4:10 is more common than 4:56 I'll just stay 4:10 for now. Which ever I end up with (4:10 or 4:56) I'm sure I'll be in much better shape then the 3:09 I have now. Help please.............don't want to waste money on a 14 that isn't what I need. Thanks again.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Dave, I will try my shot at this. I will try a simple explaination. (good luck to me! [​IMG])

A 4 pin spider gear carrier (open dif) will accept a Detroit Locker and a Lock Right.

A 3 pin spider gear carrier (Gov-Lock) will accept a Lock Right.

3.42, 3.73, 4.10 ratio carriers can use 4.56, 4.88 and 5.13 gears AS LONG as you buy the extra thick gears.

In short, it wont matter if you find or have a carrier that already has 4 pins (open dif) that originally had, say, 4.10 gears and you want to install 4.56 gears. Simply order the extra thick gears.

But if you have the 3 pin spider carrier (Gov-Lock) and dont want to reuse the GL, consider a Lock Right. While not as strong as a Detroit Locker, it is strong enough for some off road duties. I would NOT recommend the Lock Right for hardcore work, like rock crawling, etc.

I think thats all I can say for now.......unless I can come up with something later! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I would nail this down a little more and call someone like West Coast Differentials and see what they say. In my experience with my 12 Bolt which has a govloc I have been told that I can replace it ONLY with a (I think it was a truetrack) But I was also told that I could replace the carrier for about $50 and run anything I want. You may do well to call Detroit Locker and verify things with them. Like K30 guy said- a LocRight can't handle SEVERE abuse with large tires.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

10. Storm Trooper

<font color=red>///////// Right On \\\\\\\\\\\\
    <font color=black>Got it! Thats what I needed to know.
    You guys rule. I've been a motor head since way back but never really got into putting together Diff.s.
    Now I can find what I need. Sounds like big is still going to cost a bit but stronger is always better. I had some guys over so I couldn't get back on line. So Wes, the other is a 44 so i'm only getting the 14 and he will do it for $250. Not a bad start yeh. Now I can finish checking it out. I sure hope it's a 4, I don't know if I'd mess with the 3 & Gov.
    I know you told me that the shock mounts where reverse from the 10B but I swear they are the same on this one???
    What kind of D60 could you set me up with? PM me.
    Thanks, Dave

11. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I think that K30 summed it up pretty good but that 74 14bolt most likely has the 4pin open diff that you will need to install the Detroit so thats around $320.Now you want to change to 4:56 gears but have the wrong series carrier so you have to buy the thick gearset, I can only guess on the price of one of those but I`d bet close to $300. plus the cost of the used axle and you said you were going to go right thru it so you are going to have some money in it when your done!
    So make sure that the 14bolt you buy has the 4pin open diff for the detroit and if you can find one with 4:56 you can save some $$$.
    Dana 60s have the same case break as the 14bolts so you will be in the same boat there too! It might be cheaper in the long run to find a matched set of one ton axles with 4:56 gears already.
    RGF

12. Storm Trooper

Hummm.....still thinking.....[​IMG]
    Maybe the Detroit I use will work with 4:10 and 4:56?
    I could just stay 4:10 for now and go to 4:56 later???
    Still a big improment or try to find a 4:56... but they are not all over here. Does the D44 swap from the 10B easy? It might be worth the $250 if its already a 4:10. I don't mind the $$$ dump for the long run but a little spread of the cash would be nice. I could alway sell it later. Got some checking to do.
    Thanks

13. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Mudstud,

If you wanted to put a Detroit Locker in your 12bolt, then all you need to buy is the Detroit Locker for a 12bolt b/c it will come with it's own (much beefier than stock) carrier. Even if your 12bolt was open (no Gov), you would still have to do the same. That's why the Detroit is much pricier for all axles besides the 14 bolt. That axle is the only one with a stout enough carrier (stock) to handle the Detroit. (open ofcourse).
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5