Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick 1st & 2nd gen Dana 44 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I have a 75 blazer that has a dana 44 front. Long story short I have recently bought & installed new warn premium hubs (Np203 w/parttime)and brake pads. Now my front axle u-joint busted and took out my yokes on the axles so I have decided screw the 3.08 I'm going 3/4 ton with 4.10s.
    Now I've read that 78 and later had inner locking rings to hold the hub on...
    My 75s front is the same so I'm assuming that it has been swapped with a 78 or later, correct? Or is that part of the part time kit (already installed on the truck when I bought it).
    My question is if I want to use my hubs and pads I just have to find a 3/4 44 with the same style hubs I have not the large bolted on ones correct?
    Do you think 4.10s would be too much gear, my 33s (about a hair over 32") currently rev at around 2500 at a comfortable highway speed, I thought it was a little high but I did check my gears and they are 3.08s. I could really use the lower gears off road since my 305 can barely turn the 33s in 4lo in the deep mud.

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have internal bearing hubs on your current axle. If you get a 3/4 with internal bearing hubs than the Warn hubs should work fine. Also, the 3/4 ton conversion will not do anything for the strength of the axle shafts themselves, they are the same shafts. 1/2 and 3/4 ton dana 44's are basically the same. Hope that makes sense /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh, and the 4.10's sound like a good choice.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah I don't really consider the front an upgrade other than the gears, but to replace the axles and regear might aswell just go 3/4 ton and get a 14 bolt for the rear.
    My max tire size I'm going to run on this is around the 36/37 12.5 in a MTR or SSR so the front should be fine for the non-"extreme" stuff I do /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    So if the diff has selectable hubs held on by the 10 or so little hex bolts my hubs will fit?

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I did almost exactly what you are describing. I used the MM lock-out hubs that were on my '71 6-lug D44 and used them on my '77 8-lug D44 when I swapped axles. The 8-lug axle was originally full time and the hubs work with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Both axles are internal hub designs of course. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

now I'm confused, I read on here somewhere that up to 78 they used external hubs.
    I really need to know what diff to look for, I'm going to look at some tonight, I think one of the 14bolts might be a 1 1/4 ton with 4.56s and a detroit for around $100 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Anyway can someone tell me how know find out the year of diffs that might help.
    Thanks for the replys so far even though now I'm more confused /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

1976 should be the last year for the external hub. It is easy to tell them apart. The external hub is larger in diameter and the lock-out is held on by 6 pretty good sized bolts. The internal is smaller (the same diameter as a half ton hub) and only the dial cover is held to the lock-out internals by 6 small (mine are allen head) bolts. The lock-out itself is held in by snap rings. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

so your original dana 44 was converted with internal style hubs and your new dana 44 is the second gen style which also has internal style hubs stock. So my current dana 44 was converted (not a swapped 2nd gen) and I can use my hubs any 2nd gen diff. What about brake calipers? I read about anything from the knuckles out is interchangable has long as there a certain gen or matching to a certain gen but I didn't really understand, since this is my first 4x4 and I never really had to pay attention to diffs so this is all fairly new to me. Another thing that makes it confusing is that all the questions I searched were about swapping 10bolts to a 3/4 dana not a 1/2 ton dana to 3/4 ton.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Only the 3/4 ton 8-lug axles were external hub before 1977. The 6-lug axles were internal design. So my original 1971 6-lug D44 is internal....just like my '77 8-lug D44 that I swapped in.

I want to clarify that you are talking about the selectable lock-out hubs, not the bearing hubs. The lock-outs are interchangeable throughout all the open knuckle internal lock-out axles. Make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Let me include the often posted D44 bible compiled and written by thatK30guy.....

GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub & rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub & rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

Hope that helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Thanks helps out, I was very confused when I read that "bible" when first searching for dana 44 3/4 ton info it was very overwhelming.
    Thanks for pointing out the selectable vs. bearing hubs I was not being very clear and getting myself confused again /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Brakes were not mentioned but I have read that they will work, did you use your stock calipers and pads? I would hate to have to throw out my brand new 20mile pads, since I'm on a tight budget.
    So in short I should look for a second generation diff & all 1/2 ton Dana 44 selectable hubs bolt on second gen 3/4 ton diffs.
    I'm not much worried about crossover steering right now my stock system seem to be fine, other than the frame but thats another post /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Thanks for the help, I can see clearly now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Brakes were not mentioned but I have read that they will work, did you use your stock calipers and pads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I used the stock calipers but bought new pads when I swapped axles. The calipers and pads are the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks for answering all my questions /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

No prob.....if you have any more, just ask! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif