Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick 4L60 question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey there is a local guy wanting to part out his dad's wrecked truck (1994 GMC sierra) and he has the tranny (4L60 I'm guessing, he didn't mention it being a one ton) for sale, asking $500 for it. I know there are stand alone computers but can you get the computer out of the truck and use that along with my computer but just use his to run the tranny?
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/203338569.html

I'm probably going to rebuild my 700r4 but I was just wondering.

-Avery

2. bggrnchvy

bggrnchvy Registered Member

The 60e is controlled by the PCM, no seperate computer.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

94 would be tbi with a 4l60E, if you got the whole wiring harness you could convert to tbi and 4l60e

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

You would have to run tbi also cause it gets some signals from the pcm also.. The reason I chose to the stand alone controller is because I get full customization of controls.

There is also another one on ebay like the one I bought. Maybe you could jump on it and save some money.

5. Avery4jc

Thanks for the responses guys, bggrnchvy I know it doesn't have a stand alone computer but you can get them.
    I could do that neverending project but one member mentioned that I could get my local GM dealer to rebuild my 1st gen 700r4 with the main components (updated parts) of the 2nd generation 700r4 from '87 and up. I think I am going to go that route since they offer a warranty with it and it's local, no fuss.

-Avery

6. 1979jimmy350

you might want to go find a 2nd gen 700 core and have that rebuilt, in the long run it is going to cost less to rebuild that becasue you are not going to have to pay for all the new hardparts which will run you a lot of money

7. Avery4jc

You think so? I figured if I bought a 2nd generation core from a junk yard for one I'd have to spend my time pulling it out and two they would want too much for it if it was in good shape and if it wasn't and I got it for a good deal I would have to replace most everything on it anyway. Hmm I am still thinking about going to the local GM dealership and talking to them.

Someone on here said they got theirs done for less than $1300, rebuilt and installed. That's not too bad compared to other places then me having to do it myself on top of it.

-Avery

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

drop the idea of the dealership, that's just stupid. WAAAAAAAAAAAY more money than a trans shop, and probably not as much knowledge.

9. Avery4jc

really? You think a local trans shop would be cheaper and stand by what they do?

I have also been eyeing the tranny's by Mad Dog Lou over at www.maddogtransmissions.com he seems like a stand up guy and not only takes pride in his work but has pretty good prices to boot.

-Avery

10. 1979jimmy350

and if you are looing at upgrading to the later model stuff you should look into aftermarket stuff, a later core can be had cheap, i just sold one of my cores for $50 and it was a late model 700

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

drop that idea too... his prices look good, but factor in shipping. then they're not so good. as i said before, go with a local trans shop. then when/if you have a warranty claim, you're not doing it over the phone or email, and you're not shipping trannys all over the country.

12. Avery4jc

Thats a good point. The local tranny shop quoted me $999 for a complete rebuild of a 700r4 and he said that includes all of the "hard parts", he basically said that he would do all new guts in my 700 or a 2nd generation 700r4 core for under $1,000.

-Avery

13. 1979jimmy350

defently think about the 2nd gen 700 it is not jsut the hard parts inside there is a different valve body and the new ones have a extra valve body ti improve shifting

14. Avery4jc

cool, I'll be on the lookout for a 2nd gen.

-Avery