Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUICK! Am I Getting ripped off?? * UPDATED *

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, Jan 28, 2003.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I need a tranny question answered. I did a 4 speed to th350 swap 2 months ago. I had the th350 rebuilt by a local shop, and installed a new HD torque converter. When I installed the tranny I did not have the proper kick down cable bracket and so I did not install the kick down cable. I figured I would get to it sooner or later, and besides so what if it doesn't shift down when I mash it (that's all a kick down cable does right?)
    Tranny shifted fine and everything worked great. Over the next two months I put under 200 miles on the truck. Then one night it clunked when I shifted from park. When I got home and shifted into park it never made it past neutral. I checked the linkage and everything I could think off, but the tranny was DEAD. I towed it back to the shop and left it there for a week before they could look at it.
    They called yesterday and said it was my fault, because I didn't install the kick down cable, I broke the tranny. This sounds like total BS to me.
    I have to pick up the truck today (and pay them) and I am wondering what all you experts out there think. Is this possibly because of a kickdown cable not being installed or am I getting jerked around. PLEASE HELP ASAP!! <font color="red"> </font color>
    So here is the update:
    I picked up the truck last night and the owner was gone, but the guy who was there told me in HORRIBLE English (if you move to America and open a business, god bless... but LEARN THE F"N LANGUAGE) that everything was fixed, except that for some reason it shifted to quick. He checked the vacuum pressure and all relevant parts and it must be because of my big tires. Sounds fishy to me. Shifted fine before it broke. What ever I just need my truck ask.
    As I pull out of the parking lot onto the main street I notice right away how much more torque the truck has, and the shifting is solid. Like it has a shift kit. But it shifts through the gears in like three seconds. Hmmm. and the final 1:1 gear 3 seems way low. At 25 miles an hour I am in third begging to shift up, and there is allot of noise.
    Crap! I drive home and try and figure out how my final drive gear could be sooo different from what it was. It's like I have a new rear end. I did some research on adjusting the shift points and figured out you can adjust the vacuum pressure, or change the weights and springs to adjust the shift point. Sigh more work. But that still does not explain the final drive gearing.
    Some of you have probably figured this out already, but I am scratching my head. I take it for one more drive, and listen to every noise and feel every shift (and man does it shift now, like the truck want to lift the nose every time I shift). Eureka! I stop the truck, look at the transfer case lever, and it has been in 4x4 low the whole time . ahahahhahah. Put it in 2 high and everything works like it should. But now I miss the firm shifts. Guess it's time for a shift kit /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I never found out exactly what was wrong with the tranny, I will call today, but all seems right now.
    Just a shame that my 4 speed to auto conversion is now close to $1000, and that includes trading in my 4 speed.
    Nothing is as easy as it seems.

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Re: QUICK! Am I Getting ripped off??

Well the th350 does not have a kick down cable it is kicked down by vac. Now the 700r4 has a kick down cable and if it is now set right it will burn up the trans.. If run without a cable you are lucky you got 200 miles out of it. Sorry to tell you but well you know the answer.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Turbo 350's do have a kickdown linkage. Some had a hard link to the throttle, while others had a cable. The vacuum modulator helps control upshifts, but it's the kickdown linkage that tells the tranny when to go into passing gear mode.

Since the linkage wasn't hooked up, then the tranny shop can claim that was what caused the problem. Since they're the so-called "experts", it would be hard to prove them wrong if you took 'em to court. Sounds like yer screwed... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well the th350 does not have a kick down cable

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm.......what is that cable connected to my carb linkage and TH350 transmission that every parts book I've ever read calls a kickdown cable????

I really have no idea if running without your cable connected will do any damage ...... I always hook it up.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It sounds like bull to me. I hardly ever hook up the kickdown cable on my tranny's and have never had a problem. I have even removed them from the tranny and sealed the hole with no problem. Sounds like the tranny shop is screwing you. Big surprise, every tranny shop in this town would not hesitate to do the same thing. I would go get another opinion.

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Dumb A$$ me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif the th350 has one the Th400 is worked by vac.
    SORRY Oh I guess 1 mistake every 10 years is not to bad.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

hey Dylan
    as you know i dont agree with the the outher guy as we both know the 350 DEFIENTLY has a Mechinical kick down cable
    call Henrick at gm truck center 818 846 0121 for his tranny guys nu i think his name is steve at perforamnce transmissions
    and ask him
    Randy
    and mabe try to call me tonight if needed

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I hate it when I do that too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Could be the link some trannies have fell into pan if it wasn't taken out with cable.Could be it got into linkage and locked it up.The cable being off could hurt trans.Looks like shop has it on their side,LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

1 mistake every 10 years is not to bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at it this way ..... now you're good for another 10 years!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me?? I seem to stick to schedule of 1 mistake every 10 minutes or so. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Close, but the Turbo 400 has an electrically operated passing gear kick down. It's run from a switch on the gas pedal bracket. Like the Turbo 350, the 400 uses vacuum modulator to help it decide when to upshift. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Mine is in my camaro but I have ran the tranny with the kickdown cable laying on the intake for 4 years and I used to run the car at the 1/8th mile track running 9.40's all day and no problems yet.

13. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Well the tranny is under warranty, and since me and doctor4x4 put it in, there was no labor charge from the shop. Since this is my daily driver I am at their mercy and have to pay them to pull out the tranny and r&amp;r it. They are charging me $300 labor and will fix the tranny for free. So unless some one on here says for SURE that the kick down cable theory is BS, I'm gonna pull out my wallet and pull down my pants.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Th400 is worked by vac.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to tell you this and ruin your record /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But the "kick down" or passing gear on a TH400 is activated electronically. By a switch on the throttle linkage which is activated when at WFO and a solonoid in the tranny.
    Not Vacume.
    Vacume only controls the vac modulator which mostly affects the part throtthe shift points.

15. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Older 400s use vacume to adjust up shift.Also have eiectric kick down for passing gear.I think newer models lost the vac modulator. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I put my tranny in over a year ago, and when i hooked up the kickdown it didnt work right, was shifting all messed up so i just unhooked it, well i kinda wannted a kickdown cable so i went to "reputable" in my area and asked if they could just hook it up so it would right, they tried to hook it up and it didnt work, so they just un hooked it and said, " Just manually down shift if you need to pass somone on the highway" Sounds like to me that tranny shop is screwing you, But as said before They are the "Experts" so i doubt you will have any luck if you take them to court.... This kinda pisses me off that people are so F'ed up that they cant stand by their work, its HORSE SH!T if ya ask me......

17. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The kickdown cable theory is defenitely a load of crap. The TH350 in my truck has been in there for well over a year and caught alot of abuse and the kickdown cable has never been hooked up. They are full of it ! Ask them to explain why it has to be hooked up. It sounds to me like they are searching for excuses why it took a dive.

18. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Well the tranny is under warranty, and since me and doctor4x4 put it in, there was no labor charge from the shop. Since this is my daily driver I am at their mercy and have to pay them to pull out the tranny and r&amp;r it. They are charging me $300 labor and will fix the tranny for free.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i would say that is fair /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif they will fix the tranny for free /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but make you pay for the r&amp;r. they didn't put it back in the first time so they have no reason not to charge you for that. sounds like they are doing the right thing they know that the kick down has nothing to do with it or they would not fix it for free. look at your warranty I'm sure it says they are not liable if you screw up the install and in there eyes not hooking up the kick down is screwing up the install so i think legally they could get out of it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif id just pay the $300

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's BS....
    I've run my purple k5 without one for 4 years now......
    It has a 350 + hp motor with a 2,200 stall converter too...
    ALL the kickdown does is control shifting...
    What did they try to tell you? Were the clutches burned up?

20. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Oops!!!!!!!!! Did say every ten years I ment every ten min. Well the way I'am going ten seconds.