Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick and simple.. or so i thought

Discussion in 'Audio' started by cwbytruckr, Jan 19, 2007.

1. cwbytruckr

cwbytruckr Registered Member

im my burban, im runnin pioneer head unit, two 6 1/2 pioneer 3-ways in the front doors, two 6x9 pioneer 4-ways behind the middle seat in the factoyr spaces (with a lil mod from a dremel tool of course), and two 12" kicker subs behind the third seat in a box that measures about 4' long, 2' wide, 2' tall divided in the middle so its like each sub has ita own area. note that right now i am in iraq and am giving a rough geusstimation of measurements but i know these are close. the box was a sealed box, which is good for the boom boom rap music, but i dont listen to that, i listen to country, rock and heavy metal and a ported box sounds alot better for that music. my question is what should the pvc piping i am using for my port measure. im not good with the math when it comes to this and could use an answer from someone good with numbers....thanks guys

also i have a 350 watt amp runnin both subs, i know its rinky dink and i can go bigger with the amp , but whats my limit so i dont go too big and blow them out, subs and amp i was told by the shop that originally installed them that they were 2005 models....didnt know till then there was such a thing as year models with audio equip.

2. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I think if you want less "boom" you will be very dissapointed going to a ported enclosure. A sealed box tends to give you more punchy, accurate bass response. Also, it is not quite as simple as just adding a port tube. Most speakers require more volume (box size) in a ported box than they do a sealed box.

3. cwbytruckr

cwbytruckr Registered Member

how much bigger does a box ussually have to be in order to get the max sound of a ported box...i noticed a big, yet positive response in the sound when i cut the holes in the box, and that was before i even started messin with the port tubes....how does one formulate the air space and tell whether they have a box big enough?? is there something special you need to do or look at when figurin it out.....i know i sound like retard with some of this, but at least i can install everything, i just have a time with the fine tunin...kinda like my ex wife....LOL

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Yes, there's alot to consider. Each speaker is designed and manufactured a bit differently, and with different specs. This means one size does not fit all in speaker enclosures. To find the proper enclosure measurements, you first need the theil/small perameters for your speakers. From this you can use a box designing program like WinISD to derive the proper size (and in the case of ported boxes, tuning) required for your needs.

If this sounds complicated, that's because it is, a little bit. More than I have time to fully explain here. Basically you need to start from stratch, do a bit of research on enclosure types and designs. As was stated before, basically what you heard about ported versus sealed is wrong, 180 degrees wrong. Sealed generally work better for metal/rock while ported lends itself to rap more so. There are exceptions of course (like low-tuned ported boxes), but generally that's the case.

Lastly, even if we knew what subs you actually have (we dont, 2005 Kickers isn't enough info, they make alot of subs ;)), we do not really know what you want the subs to do. We could guess and toss out numbers, but only you really know what you like, what you want and need from your subs, so the best plan is to learn yourself (a couple evenings research should be plenty for the basics) and come up with what YOU think will work best for you. Once you do this, check back here and I (and Im sure others) will be glad to help out with any questions you may have.

Try looking here for starters:
    www.caraudio.com
    www.caraudioforum.com
    www.elitecaraudio.com