Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick cam-swap question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Feb 22, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Obviously the radiator needs to come out, but is there enough room to leave the AC condensor in and still get the cam out past the front of the block?

350 TBI in a 1990 Suburban.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I have never put a cam into an air conditioned vehicle. I would assume the condenser can be angled enough if it is in the way.

Which cam are you swapping in? Keep me posted on the results, since our rigs are very similar. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

When I swapped the cam on my 89 K5, it just barely made it without taking out the condenser. The real problem was in the center support. I found that cutting out the support with a sawzall fixed that, though.

4. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

a little friendly persuasion with the support and it will go but I didn't have to cut mine out, if you do it would be an easy piece to weld back in. good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

NerdBoy and Alaskanbowtie, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear...thanks!

Subfan, this modification probably won't come until this summer (if it does at all - I'm really debating how many "in-between" steps I want to make "throwing my money away" before I can really build my truck they way I want it in 2 or 3 years). But, I may give Comp Cams a call and see what they suggest. And, I'll for sure let you know/post up how everything turns out.

Is anybody here running a mild performance cam in their 350 TBI? Something that is computer friendly, passes emissions, and has some low-end grunt? If so, post up what you've got and how you like it, please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif