Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick change rearend

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dmanblazer, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever thought of using or tried to use a quick change rearend in their rig? Would it be to weak or what? The Raminator monster truck uses a type of quick change in it, though it's much larger. But just think of it, going from highway gears to wheelin' gears within 5 minutes or so.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thought about, would love it! Dont know how fesable it is. Isn't the 9 inch real strong and have quick change capabilities?

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

An important question: How much would such a setup cost, and do you have that amount in your budget?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

isn't raminator running a zf axle with planetaries like everyone else in monster trucks? You could drop the center section on that or change the planetary gears but neither operation would be nearly "quick change". What I've always been told about quick changes is this, they are loud(straight cut gears) and there is more slop in them then you would really want for a street driving vehicle. That said, have you ever looked at a quick change? The actual quick change unit sticks a good I'd say about 8" back past the axle centerline, is made of magnesium or aluminum and if you rotated your pinion like you would need for a lifted truck, say good bye to the gear case really quick. If you REALLY want this option, I'd go 9" Ford route converted to say Dana 60 spindles and full floater. Likely cost less, and be a much higher clearance option.

Quick change rears are strong, and great for their purpose(mostly circle track racing, where you are at a different track all the time or changing for track conditions, thats where I have my very limited experience with them).

If used in a front application, you';d have that same big magnesium/aluminum chunk sticking out in front of your axle, not cool imo.

www.wintersperformance.com if you want to look into them.

here is a center from a Winters quick change:
    [​IMG]
    notice the pinion enters well below axle centerline, no where near a good idea for off road use. It would be sweet if you could flip it over, but it would then turn the wrong direction.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i saw a on extreme4x4 that monster trucks use quick change transfer cases not axles

6. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

Well I work for Halibrand Performance and was just wondering. I could save alot of money just by working there (wheels, air ride suspension, rearends, exhaust ect.)