Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Crew-Cab/Suburban question, and Bogger picture request...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Feb 3, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Real quick question: a Crew-Cab cab will bolt up to where a Suburban tub was, correct?

Picture request: 38.5x 11 " boggers...preferrably mounted on a truck.

The ideas are formulating. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Quick Crew-Cab/Suburban question, and picture request...

Rear most cab mounts might be a issue. I have looked at this and yes it's doable BUT you might have to move the rear axle back a little to help on clearence on the rear of the cab. It will be a build it and see. I say screw a real truck bed and go with a flat bed with a fuel cell tucked up behind the cab and chop it off at the shackle mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I say screw a real truck bed and go with a flat bed with a fuel cell tucked up behind the cab and chop it off at the shackle mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I didn't mention it, but that's exactly what I had in mind. But, the frame will be hacked off after the rear axle (4-link). And, with the 4-link I'll be able to move the axle back if the cab gets in the way. Oh, and the bed won't exactly be a flat-bed, but rather a combination of flat-bed and storage compartments (probably end up being as tall as a regular bed). /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I say screw a real truck bed and go with a flat bed with a fuel cell tucked up behind the cab and chop it off at the shackle mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I didn't mention it, but that's exactly what I had in mind. But, the frame will be hacked off after the rear axle (4-link). And, with the 4-link I'll be able to move the axle back if the cab gets in the way. Oh, and the bed won't exactly be a flat-bed, but rather a combination of flat-bed and storage compartments (probably end up being as tall as a regular bed). /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you are thinking of what I am doing, except I am putting the crew cab on a regular cab longbed 1ton frame.
    I will need to do some relocating of the body mounts since the frame goes up behind the regular cab but I have that all figured out, and I will have a crew cab on 131" wheel base instead of 168".
    And the rear will be a utility/storage bed with an unfold tent pad. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I should be gettign the cab soon and the frame is ready and stripped so as soon as I get the cab I will start the procedure and document it with pics.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Uh oh...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Thinking of ditching the burb, or building a wheeling only truck? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You caught me...

Actually, this idea is for maybe 2 years down the road when I'm out of school and have a daily-driver. It won't exactly be like I'm ditching the 'burb because it will be my current burb frame, interior, front clip, and 14 bolt. And, it will be a trail-only rig, so I'll have to get a 2500 HD to tow it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Right now it's all just ideas and dreams...I'm just thinking that with the only place to wheel near us being 200 miles away, it makes sense to have a trail-rig...that way you can REALLY wheel it and not have to worry about it getting you home. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You caught me...

Actually, this idea is for maybe 2 years down the road when I'm out of school and have a daily-driver. It won't exactly be like I'm ditching the 'burb because it will be my current burb frame, interior, front clip, and 14 bolt. And, it will be a trail-only rig, so I'll have to get a 2500 HD to tow it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Right now it's all just ideas and dreams...I'm just thinking that with the only place to wheel near us being 200 miles away, it makes sense to have a trail-rig...that way you can REALLY wheel it and not have to worry about it getting you home. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then by then hopefully I will have mine done and let you know of the problems.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why coils in the rear and leaves up front?

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I dunno really...that's just kinda what I decided when I was drawing it. I'm sure that at some point it would turn into a coil suspension front, but for initial building ease/cost, it would be leaf springs. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

If you are going to get really out of control, build your own frame out of semi truck frame rail and mount rocks with 1600/20's. Trail rig or not, people would have to look. I'm considering doing just that with a 74 Blazer that I was given. I used to work for Freightliner and could get the framerail cut-offs. I build bumpers out of them right now. The material is 10" face "C" channel that measures 1/4" thick. Then you can mount axles and drivetrain anywhere you want. It ends up being a 5" body lift without the problems of body lifts. I'm thinking along the lines of a 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel with an Allison auto trans and a NP205 doubler. Might be a little rediculas, but it would be cool.
    T-roy