Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick D60 hub removal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Dec 3, 2006.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

i did a quick search and didn't turn up the answer. i'm in th emiddle of tearing down the axle to rebuild it. ive got the locking hubs out and im at the spindle lock nut (i think). i've been beating it with the screwdriver and hammer and it won't budge. its got 4 slots and no tabs to bend back that i can see.

am i missing something or just not hitting it hard enough? this axle was abused pretty bad. i'll post up some pics of the brakes :eek::yikes:

i think the nut is just on there tight. i'll try the special socket but want to check here first.

thx

2. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

i got the socket when i hit that same problem.

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How'd you like them u-joints?? The ones that Iv'e tore apart had a nut on the outside, then a washer with bendable tabs, then another washer with holes, then the last nut with a pin on it. I can't explain sutff for sh!t, so maybe someone else has a diagram or something.

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

There is a washer with fingers that get bent over the outer spindle nut.
    Look closely and you will see only one finger lined up and was bent into a slot into the nut.
    As for taking the nuts off with anything but a 6 tab socket, for gods sake, why?
    The socket is under 20 bucks!

5. SkysTheLimit

I was more impressed with the brakes than the u joints. The rotor on the passenger side is ummm past minimum thickness. I'll snap some pics once the batteries charge up in the camera.

there's definately no tabs bent up into the indices. I'm going to get hte socket tomorrow and be done with it. It's the 4 tab one and it doesnt match any of hte pictures i've seen in the articles on pirate.

thx guys

6. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

You are not working on a dana 60 if it has 4 notches on the spindle nuts.

7. SkysTheLimit

The 60F cast into the front and the spring perch integrated with the pumpkin would disagree with your statement. Also the kingpin steering and other trademarks of a D60 would say otherwise.

8. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

there are 2 different types of sockets. ones 86+ and the other is 86-. i believe its 86, might be 84. they will know where you get it

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah, it's a 60, I sold it to him!!! There are tow diff style nuts or whatever you call them. The one that is in my truck isn't the 4 notches either.