Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick Dealership Rant

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Went to my local "stealership" to pick up the pitman arm nut for my 2wd steering box and walked out about 45minutes later with the nut and $12out of my pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: This should be illegal.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

$2 less than i paid at the dealership...

Of course if I would have gone there first I could have saved about 2 hours of driving and $10 on fuel. :doah:

Rene

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

When I put HEI on my 250 L6, the dist was missing the shaft extension and cross pin. After numerous phone calls, found one at a Chevy dealer in Denver. This a 1/2 '" diam steel rod, machined at both ends bout 2 inches long-cost 24 bucks. Went thru similar thing with 79 Power Wagon. Needed new front axle nut. I went to the dealer and after 20 minutes of looking thru parts book, found a replacement at 16 bucks. I tell ya, if OE is your only source, you are gonna pay.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It is really worth the effort to create a sole proprietorship and register with the state as a business. It costs about $25 in most places. Once you have a tax ID then most stealerships will sell ya stuff at garage prices. I usually get 30-40% off list. :cool1:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats why I use gmpartsdirect.

(or Jim from here! :))

6. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

It's nice to be able to piggyback off my employers accout :D It's amazing the pricing you get when your buying in the 6 figures :bow:

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

It's insane how much they charge for parts. An a/c compressor is like $460!! You would think they would realize that if they charged less they would sell more parts. I know they wouldn't make as much on each individual sale, but I can't help but believe that their overall profits would increase.

8. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

In Defense Of The Dealership

Yeah, I'm guilty, I work in the parts dept @ a dealership. It's not the guy behind the counter that plugs in the price, unless attitude comes into play, then it can only go up.
    We've been aware of price problems for years, and more often than not, the price goes down out of shear shame. A.C. DELCO has been dinging us for years, and continue to do so.
    I just wanted to let you know, we're not all a bunch of *******. That nut shows a G.M. list price of 9.06.
    I'm sure you've all got somebody looking over your numbers at the end of month whether it's at work or home. That's pretty much what it all boils down to.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Their shipping is a killer on pretty much everything that I look up there. :(

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If your local dealer is very friendly, you might get close to what GMPD costs with shipping.

In dealing with a Jim at a parts counter, even WITH shipping/handling, your GMPD price is just over 10% of cost. Not many dealers will sell at that price. Yes, shipping is high, but they base that on item cost, not weight/size supposedly.

My local dealer is so much more than GMPD (with shipping included) that I don't even bother calling them anymore.

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Parts Man

I got your back dude...

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Bargain

Wow... Twelve dollars for one of the most important fasteners on your vehicle. The nut that allows you to steer. Sounds cheap to me...