Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick & Dirty way to get your vehicle through DEQ

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Mar 27, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a quick way to prepare a vehicle to go through vehicle emissions. Im working on a friends 350 and this is the 5 th pass and it failed high fluorocarbons. Any suggestions. Im sick of waitiing inline for an hour just to hear " Im sorry you didn;t pass"

2. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

What year rig? Carb or TBI? What were readings for hydrocarbons & carbon monoxide (CO)? My truck passed by like 2 PPM hydrocarbons. I later learned EGR was bad. After it was replaced, hydrocarbon and CO dropped to near nothing-almost as low as wife's '95 Mercury.

If you're sitting in line for an hour, that might very well be the problem! Try not to cut the engine off while in line-it needs to be good and hot when they test it. Wife had similar problem; failed after waiting, tech let car warm back up and voila, it passed easily. Haynes manual has a good section on emissions stuff along with diagnosis tests to perform.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

3. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

super unleaded gas and alot of octane booster will help.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Sorry DangerB. Don't take this the wrong way but I disagree. Higher octane fuel burns longer. If engine isn't designed for that (via compression ratio) you add more carbon in cylinder due to uncompletely burned fuel. That'd create a higher level of hydrocarbons in exhaust for sure.

5. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

I just adjusted my carb to run really lean. It ran like crap but i passed. After i left the shop i just went around the corner and put it back. My problem was high CO but might help with hydrocarbons.
    Good Luck
    Chris

6. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I have a 76 and it passed with flying colors. I'm not sure why. The tech said it was one of the best engines he has ever seen. I changed the oil and adjusted the carb about three full turns out on each side. Check all of your emmisions stuff to make sure it works. Make sure your idle is also correct. Also make sure they are looking up the right vehicle and carburator when they do test.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I posted this earlier. Talked about it @ work, couple people agreed. So,:
    Just before going in to the garage, dump 2-3 bottles of Drygas in the tank. The motor will be running on isopropyl alcohol for a couple minutes, so emissions will be very low. I had my doubts about this, but a few old salts I work with (including an ASE mech. at an emissions test facility) agreed that this can work. Just my 2 cents...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

And to think we used to put moth balls in the tank to make those old flat heads run....

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

77' chevy Pu. Carb rochester rebuilt recently. new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, battery. Wow the levels I do not remember they were only a couple of ticks above the normal readings they want. It had electronic nothing on it except HEI ignition.

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

An old trick that I used to use was to shove the Ypipe full of steel wool, then take the truck out and run the piss out of it up and down the Sunset with the tailpipe unbolted, just before you get into DEQ's parking lot pull over and bolt the pipe up and go throughwith a cold exhaust system- this only works with cars that arent equipped with cats and if you can get right through while the engine is still hot and the exhaust system is cold.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

11. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

This maybe pretty low tech but a guy at the state who was helping me with my 84's problems said to make sure that the tires inflated correctly or even over inflated to make as little drag as possable. Every little bit helps.

Getsome

12. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

How can they smog my K5, when it came as Full Time 4wd stock? They can only do an idle and rpm test right? I have since installed an NP205 tcase, but they dont need to know that. Hmmmmmmmmmm whatcha think?

13. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I don't know if that year had an EGR or not but I'd check on that, PCV valve & heat riser unit along with vacuum hoses. I remember reading on my can of BG44K that it helps remove carbon & improve emissions. Try a can of that. Stuff won't be found at Trak Auto/Pep Boys. Call 800-555-1212 & ask for BG Chemicals 800# to find a retailer.

Good Luck & let us know how it comes out.

14. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

hey Mr Red, thanks for taking me to school on that one. My buddy dissalusioned me years ago and I beleived that higher octane burns faster and hotter. The braintrust of engineer/gearheads here at the office say you are right, sir. But maybe that ATF trick would help pass it a little? I was going to use mystery oil instead.

Thanks Teach

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

15. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

No sweat DangerB. I'd stay away from the ATF trick personally. There are better options

1.) BG Chemical's BG44K to clean out carbon & emission systems.

2.) GM Upper Engine Cleaner. Part #105002 (from a prior post here) @ local GM Dealer.

16. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just had My emissions checked in GA. The way I passed was to run the tank down to 1/4 tank then add 3 gallons of methanol racing alcohol. drive to the test, after the test fill up the tank with unleaded. The exhaust fumes smell a little wierd but I had better readings than most new cars.

Good luck[​IMG]

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]