Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick disconnect shock, stupid idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Jun 20, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about how you can get a quick disconnect for the sway bar. and i was wondering if anyone had tried doing a quick disconnect setup for shocks. i was thinking that maybe you could use grade 8 bolts and drill holes through them and use "R" pins or something like that. i know on the rear you could only do this on the axle end, and then you would have to tie them up out of the way. any comments or ideas you have would be great. let me know if you think this might or might not work.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yea i thought about it, but then somone told me "why the hell would you want to do it".... then i thought to myself, No [naughty word], what the hell would i want to do that for......

so now my question, why would you want to?

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

no, the real question is "why the heck not"

4. Silver84k5

because you will get more axle wrap, wheel hop, and bouncing. climbing hills will be awkward.

5. rick88blaze

so you don't have to worry about bottoming them out or the shocks limiting the axle drop. there's not much big hill climbing around here. the ones i do climb, i take it slow on, and the same when i'm wheeling. i mostly hit rock trails and stuff like that, so i don't have to worry about axle wrap or hop.

6. Silver84k5

how much flex do you have?... are you running the 9012's? you can even go longer if you need to, i guess with slow crawling it wouldnt make no differece, but trails that are gonna need some gas pedal might bring up some issues.

7. Confedneck

but remember, if he can effectively produce them in mass quantities and sell them to enough asshats with show trucks for enough profit...

8. rick88blaze

i've got decent flex now with my procomp es3000's. i just posted this to get some opinions for later on when i get 6" front springs and do an ORD shackle flip in the rear. right now i've just got a 2 1/2" lift with front and rear springs.

9. rick88blaze

[ QUOTE ]
    but remember, if he can effectively produce them in mass quantities and sell them to enough asshats with show trucks for enough profit...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Silver84k5

there ya go... get a grade 8 bolt, drill a small hole, Get a Pin to put in there, like the ones that hold the pin on the reciver for the hitch, Tack a 50 dollar price tag to it, and toss it on ebay ;P *here fishy fishy*

11. rick88blaze

i just might have to try that./forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif seriously though, i think i might have to try my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif without shocks the next time i go wheeling, just to see how bad, or good it improves my wheeling experience. once again, i'm really just looking for opinions on this, especially from someone that might have tried it before.

rick

12. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    there ya go... get a grade 8 bolt, drill a small hole, Get a Pin to put in there, like the ones that hold the pin on the reciver for the hitch, Tack a 50 dollar price tag to it, and toss it on ebay ;P *here flamey flamey*

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed it...

13. Silver84k5

aslong as somone buys, let people flame... as you walk away with a little more cheddar in your pocket.

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Unbolt your rear shocks and then drive down the street pumping the pedal.. notice the low rider style hop you can get going with little effort, pulling the rear tires 1 then 2 feet into the air at the same time. Now try that while descending a dirt road with a little gallop in it and try and keep the truck on the road at lets say 25 mph. Last crawl over a rock with two other close boulders by it and try not to flop side to side without any roll control as the tires slip off and shift weight (you might want to pull your doors off for that test). If you can take it, then go for it. I placed my shocks in some rather inefective positions before and have had some first hand experience with zero dampening and roll control.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Drove with no shocks one time when I had to move my vehicle.

25MPH and speed bumps made for a very "exciting" ride. Only hit one going that fast /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. Priest

Priest Registered Member

I have seen a few guys try runnig without shocks on their rigs. It sevearly reduces your side hilling ability and when you come off of an obstacle your going to be more likly to boune and smack something else.

17. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Someone asked a similar question over on Pirate 4x4 awhile back - but wanted to run completely without shocks - someone else posted a pic of their Jeep (upside down) that they had done exactly that too!

Apparently, the Jeep came down a bank (or rock face) and bounced at the bottom, then bounced, then BOUNCED, then BOUNCED, (repeat several times) then flipped over

THAT's a HIGH pucker factor right there in my book. All the hardcore guys - that I've seen at least - always run shocks. I don't see a reason not too /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. rick88blaze

to all:

thanks for the input. and scenarios of what happened to guys who didn't use shocks while wheeling. i never considered body roll that could happen along the face of a hill or when going over rocks in tight spaces. guess i won't be taking my shocks off after all. thanks for straightening me out. you have to forgive me, the heat out here fries my brain once in a while.

19. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i ran with no shocks for almost 2 months.i was waiting on a shock mount to be made for it.anyway the ride really sucks as there is nothing to control the up and down movment of compressing the springs.going over big bumps or obstacles will shoot your rear end all over the place and you will not be able to control where your truck is pointed.as the rear will be bounced in whatever direction the bump moved you in and it will keep bouncing till the spring gets enuf control to stop or you hit another bump to send it in the other direction.to make a long story short,it sux and should not be done.i also did not get any articulation improvement by not having shocks and now having shocks.i ramped it just to see if there was a difference and i could not find any.i think it just matters more where the shock is located and at what angle.in my stock setup the shocks did limit,but now im running a custom unit and it works much better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif