Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick disconnect steering wheel on DD/trail rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody used a quick disconnect steering wheel on a DD/trail rig? The truck doesn't get driven everyday but does see highway use and occasional street. I know of the Grant product that you can use with a Grant steering wheel but will one like this type work and be safe?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG7851&N=700+%2D123009+115&autoview=sku

[​IMG]

Of course I will have to get a 3 bolt aftermarket steering wheel but....thoughts?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not something that I would do, but if you want to do it use the best one out there - the unit from Mark Williams. There's a couple reasons for this. First is that his is the only one with an O-ring at the top of the female splines. This damps and potential rattling and puts a little load on the latching mechanism so it doesn't wobble as much as the others out there. Second is that it has one missing spline w/ a matching groove so the steering wheel only goes on one way.
    Were I doing this I'd make a flange to bolt the male splined piece to a steering wheel adapter so that the turn signal canceler still worked.
    Not sure what I'd do about the horn.

3. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I have the one from Grant. Have had it almost a year without any issues. I like it and am happy knowing my truck is secure and no one can go off with it since the steering wheel is either with me or locked up. Plus a column lock adds extra security.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007