Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick drum brake question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I had to do an emergency brake shoe replacement on the Stock Poser K5 today. Unfortunately since the shop was closed, the drums couldn't be turned.

Got everything back together and took it out on a test drive. Got the pedal back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but I've got a little "problem" and wondering if it's related to the non-turned drums, or should I even worry...

When I tapped the pedal somewhat hard, one of the drums emits a bang like the shoes are slapping the inside of the drum. I'm not getting this when I gently apply the pedal. Also, I'm getting this banging only going down the road and at times, it wouldn't even happen. I came back, took the tire and drum off real quick (sounds like L/R), everything looked okay, adjusted the shoes out just a little bit more and took it back out. The banging was still there.

This is only happening when the pedal is tapped somewhat hard, louder when the pedal is tapped real hard. Should I worry? Is this related to the drums not getting turned?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all i can gues sis that its gotta be somethingf like rear most shoes lifting or front most shoe pulling down, stupid Q but: primary and secondary not switched righT ? just asking, i sometimes forget which goes forward and which goes toawrds rear, common accident sometimes

good luck

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but: primary and secondary not switched righT ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, they are on right.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sounds like something is messed up. I had that bang, and I just spent 10 bucks to do the rebuild kit. After the rebuild, it went away. turns otu one of the retaining clips that hold the spring acutally fell out.