Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quick electrical question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Dec 30, 2004.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How many amps will 16 gauge wire handle. 1/2 hour at a time.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Depends an what you are using it for and where. Could be anywhere form 4 to 20A. Also is this for AC or DC. AC amp's are generally less due to the impedance value of the wires insulation. High electrical resistance (Ohm's) of the insulation does not directly translate over to high AC Impedance.

If i am getting to technical for you then don't worry about it. I am used to dealing with voltages in the 15K-20KVdc range.

3. cbbr

12 volt system. Aux lights for the sides of the Burb. 4 55w per side. Gonna ground them to the truck. 25 amp switches (may need a relay). Gona wire them in series - one side per switch.

4. cbbr

I forgot to say thanks for the CB help. I am grounding it at the same time. To mount the light switches had to take the roof console down anyway. Just another excuse to take something apart.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

A 55W light will draw 4.58A on a 12Vdc line. Using 16Ga wire you "could" run 4 in series down one side and in parallel with the other side. This would be about 18A each side. The conservatitive limit for 16G wire on a DC circut is 20A.

I would rather you use 2 high amp relays with 4 lights each in parallel or one relay per light. Either way. The less current the better per line. Currnet flowing through an electrical wire results in heat. The less the better.

It is really up to you though as how you go about it.

I could design you a circut diagram for how i would set it up though.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

No problem:D

7. cbbr

Thanks (again). I am thought that I was getting on the high side. Looks like its back to the store for heavier wire and a couple of relays.

I ran 10 Gauge into the headliner to power these. Only intend to use one side at a time as utility/work lights to set camp, fix stuff and that type of thing.

If you have a chance, a simple diagram would be great, but with your confirmation of my fear I hope that I am on the right track.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I will get one joted down on paper than scan it and post it up. Might take me a little while today. I am watching the kids while the wife goes shopping for my B-Day present.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Here is a quick circut i designed. I am sure there are better ways to do this but this will work. Use your own judement on how you can modify this plan. or ask questions.
    With it wired like this i would have switch one turn on the 1st and 3rd lights on the drivers side, switch 2 would turn on lights 2 and 4 on the drivers side and so on...

[​IMG]
    keep in mind that this will require larger gauge wiring if you plan to run all eight lights at once.
    This pic will only last a few days ans Steve is changing the gallery. I can upload it agian after that or make changes to it and repost it

10. cbbr

That's awesome. I'm not real good with 'tricty, but I follow instruction well. I got 10 gauge wire and will get more relays in the morning. Just nice to know that I won't have to worry about a burned wire. No need to repost the diagram, I have downloaded it. Thanks again.:bow:

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Let me know if you would like it modified in any way. It would be pretty easy with the program i use

You could also have only 2 relays and 2 switches if you wnated all the lights on per side. I just drew it that way because it would be cooler to control the lights more.

12. cbbr

10 utility lights wired per the diagram. Working great. Now I can see to back up, land planes, etc.:saweet: Thanks again Chief.:bow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Awsome. Looks better than i imagined.

Post up a pic of only some of them on and a pic of where you mounted the switches.

14. cbbr

Went with three 25 amp switches and 30 amp relays. One switch/side and one for the back. 10 ga wire - one hot per switch. Ran them in parallel and grounded them to the rack.

15. BURBicon

BURBicon Registered Member

Hey B I L! Looks good! I'm not gonna throw out any obvious phrases like "Nice rack!! Looks like your headlights are ON!" or anything like that. But buddy, those things are gonna come in handy when you get to a campin' spot after dark. Of course, you're gonna scare off all the desert yetis, but maybe that's for the best.

16. cbbr

May also be helpful with flats, broken :weld: , and other stuff.