Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick engine question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarheel, Apr 5, 2004.

1. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

i know you can't tell for sure w/o the casting #, but does anyone have an ideas as to whether or not my '73 350 in my k5 is a 4-bolt or 2-bolt?
    thanks for any help,
    Matt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SOmetimes even the casting number won't tell you for sure. You have to take your oil pan off and look at your main caps to find out....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gimme the suffix code off the front passenger side of the block (behind the alternator) and I might be able to give you an educated guess.

There is also supposed to be an ID mark on the BACK of the block, but good luck finding it with the engine installed. So far, for a guy I know who was the one that told me about this theory, every time this mark is present, the block is 4 bolt.

I should get a picture of it. I'm not really concerned about being able to ID all of the 4 bolt main blocks, I just thought it would be neat if there is another way to positively ID a block as 2 or 4 bolt, without pulling the pan.

By the way, if anyone has engine blocks laying around that hasn't already given me the suffix codes, I'm collecting suffix code/casting number/2 or 4 bolt information for SBC chev's, to see if the suffix code ID's a 2 or 4 bolt main. Not enough samples yet to make a call as to whether it's reliable or not.