Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quick engine question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaunmcdee, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Shaunmcdee

Shaunmcdee Newbie

while i was readint the reply in my transmission thread this question popped in my head.
    while i was testing out the truck, i would rev the engine, very responsive but after the rev it would die, i was thinking maybe bad batch of gas...its been sitting for some time... any ideas?
    its a carbed 350 from what i understand

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Engine croaks

That or possibly a big vaccuum somewhere. Add as much new gas to the tank as you can to dilute the old stuff, and see what happens. If you can get it to idle, spray some carb cleaner around the intake gaskets, the carb base, anywhere there could be a leak, and see if the RPM's come up. That'll be your leak.

3. College_Blazer

College_Blazer Registered Member

Hi

Hi! First time replying here... is the carb in good order? My truck(an S-10, but still applicable I believe), use to do the exact same thing as you. I could hit it on, it would idle even, but if I rev'd it and just dropped off the gas it would die. To the point that if I was in traffic and was accelerating straight to braking, it die out sometimes. It might be worth taking the thing apart and double checking everything. What kind of carb is it? OEM? After market?

Good luck :)

And if your checking for leaks, you might be tempted to try carb cleaner as it does work quiet well.. but it will catch your engine on fire if it catches a spark. Soapy water works just as well IMO